(re)learning mathematics

Hat and Beard

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

I started programming games in JavaScript as a hobby about a year ago and have gotten to the point where I'm able to code relatively sophisticated games. The limitation I keep running into, however, is my poor knowledge of relatively basic mathematical concepts. Being an artsy humanities type,  I barely squeaked through high school and university math classes doing the bare minimum, and now it has come to bite me from behind. It has become apparent to me that I will have to re-learn math from the ground up to do some of the things I would like to try my hand at (programming game physics, 3d graphics etc).

So, my question is, does anybody have recommendations for good resources for learning math within the context of game development. I guess what I'm looking  for is a 'Mathematics for Game Dev Dummies'-type book or on-line course. I know there are at least a few books out there on the subject, but any recommendations on where to start? If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I learn math for graphics and games too. I study pure WebGL and JavaScript/TypeScript. And I study Phaser (2D) and Babylon.js (3D). We can use WebGL and JavaScript/TypeScript to study Geometry, Trigonometry, Linear Algebra and Phisics. This is my short example how to use 2D Physics with TypeScript. Here you find a video course: Math for Game Developers

Books for beginners that I study:

• 2004 - 04 - Math and Physics for Game Programmers - Wendy Stahler - 504 pages: Amazon
  • 2011 - 02 - Graphics for Game Programming - JungHyun Han - 330 pages: Amazon
  • 2011 - 06 - Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics - 3rd edition - Eric Lengyel - 624 pages: Amazon Code: http://mathfor3dgameprogramming.com/
  • 2011 - 11 - 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development - 2nd edition - F. Dunn, I. Parberry - 846 pages: Amazon
  • 2013 - 12 - Mathematics for Computer Graphics - 4th edition - John Vince - 412 pages: Amazon
  • 2015 - 08 - Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications - 3rd edition - James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop - 624 pages: Amazon Code: https://github.com/jvanverth/essentialmath

I don't have any great links but do have some notes from my own experience. Note that i mostly work in 2d. Usually I just pop a term into Google and read various forums. 

- Javascript Math Library. The functions I use most are floor, ceiling, min, max, sin/cos/tan (and inverse), abs, random and pow

- Trigonometry. Relation between sin/cos/tan and how to go from angle to ratio and back. Conversion of degrees to radians (necessary for javascript functions). Advanced: how to rotate a point around an origin.

- Physics. Relation between position, velocity and acceleration. Acceleration due to gravity. How friction works. How impact works. 

- Algebra. Intersection of two lines. Somewhat fundamental for collision logic.

- The math behind the quadraticCurveTo() method (quadratic bezier curve). This is the basis for any curve-based collisions that i do.

- Boolean logic. Specifically, how to invert a set of logic. This has been helpful for refactoring/cleaning code. 

- Lastly, I've found that sometimes it really helps to get out the old pencil/paper and write it all down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/24/2020 at 1:28 PM, 8Observer8 said:

I learn math for graphics and games too. I study pure WebGL and JavaScript/TypeScript. And I study Phaser (2D) and Babylon.js (3D). We can use WebGL and JavaScript/TypeScript to study Geometry, Trigonometry, Linear Algebra and Phisics. This is my short example how to use 2D Physics with TypeScript. Here you find a video course: Math for Game Developers

Books for beginners that I study:

• 2004 - 04 - Math and Physics for Game Programmers - Wendy Stahler - 504 pages: Amazon
  • 2011 - 02 - Graphics for Game Programming - JungHyun Han - 330 pages: Amazon
  • 2011 - 06 - Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics - 3rd edition - Eric Lengyel - 624 pages: Amazon Code: http://mathfor3dgameprogramming.com/
  • 2011 - 11 - 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development - 2nd edition - F. Dunn, I. Parberry - 846 pages: Amazon
  • 2013 - 12 - Mathematics for Computer Graphics - 4th edition - John Vince - 412 pages: Amazon
  • 2015 - 08 - Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications - 3rd edition - James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop - 624 pages: Amazon Code: https://github.com/jvanverth/essentialmath

Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful to me. I remembered that when I was a student, I was very fond of mathematics and exact sciences. But in parallel, I was very attracted by the philosophy and literature of the Middle Ages. Once I received an assignment that dealt with mathematics and marketing at the same time, it was researching the statistics of a company. I had to write an academic paper about this. I had difficulties and I turned to a professional service https://uk.edubirdie.com/marketing-assignment-help, where I got an online solution to my problem. I saved a lot of time and effort in this way.

Edited by Xima