[WIP] Rainboarders

stimpact

Rainboarders is a one-button sports game where players perform boarding tricks and score points in the skies.

RB1.pngRB2.pngRB3.png

Controls

Tap - speed up/kickflip

Hold - charge jump/grind

Release - jump

This is my first ever game and it is being made for #1GAM. So I'm about 15 days into the journey so far. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on these forums and I'd love to hear feedback from seasoned devs (i.e. this community!).

This was made in GameMaker: Studio with all scripting and spritework done by myself.

Core gameplay is complete and works across all mobile devices I've tested on. What's left is more sprite variations and trick animations, a main menu (with game modes), how-to-play, global high scores, audio, and localisation (in that order).

This project is a way to get my feet wet. I'll look to licensing my content down the line once I've gained more experience and produce higher calibre games. From my time lurking these forums I'm across the challenges facing this industry and I'd like to go about things in the right way - mentors can feel free to contact me via twitter or email.

I'm providing my devlogs on the stimpact blog in case you're interested.

Looking forward to your feedback. Most importantly, I hope you find Rainboarders fun!

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi venam,

I decided on portrait before I started developing and never returned to that question. I agree with you and landscape makes so much more sense. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for playing and replying :) I'll post another reply to this thread in case I manage to switch orientations between now and the end of March when this month's 1GAM entry is due.

Venam you'll be happy to know that Rainboarders is now in landscape. Thanks for bringing this up, I hope you agree it makes a big difference to the game.

Wow, what a huge difference in gameplay.

It does kicks ass now.

Try do add more challenges or tricks. The timeout is nice and all but it misses a need of urgency.

It's starting to be really enjoyable to play.

Thanks man :)

I hear you on challenges/tricks. I'll be adding plenty of animations (different grinds, grabs, etc).

After that comes the 'juicy' stuff - e.g. flashing countdown when you're <10 seconds, stuff like that. Your last line was music to my ears, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The rest of March really got away from me. Implementing the last big features took wayyy longer than expected (items shop and global leaderboards). I ran out of time for really polishing things (displaying the multiplier, more trick animations).

I'm still really proud of what I could get done in my first game and first month of gamedev. I'm pumped for the game I'm making this month.

Rainboarders wouldn't have been as good a game as it is without your help, particularly venam for giving that feedback. Feel good about yourself for that bud.

Final game is here: http://stimpact.com/rainboarders/

I'll be back with a new topic later in April for my next game :)