Game Performance on stock browsers

madhurhtml5

Hello,

I have developed a game in phaser(version 1.1.3) and has to run it basically over mobile devices using their own native web browsers.

The game goes well and performs normally in the browsers such as chrome, firefox etc but when it is run on stock browser(default web browser) specially on samsung devices then it lags and slows down the performance.

Kindly suggest me if i can make certain changes. and solve this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I've made some tests and have the same problem,tried with a resolution a little higher than yours (iPad size) downscaled to fit screen.

I made a sample game that would just draw a background image. On touch it adds an Image object that moves with constant speed. Even without any Image objects, all I get is 18 FPS simply with background image.

On Galaxy S2 with stock browser.

On Chrome it can run at 60 FPS constantly, even with around 20 images moving (then it starts dropping).

I think only chrome supports WebGL on devices (although my info might be out of date?). The Samsung stock browser certainly doesn't. I've heard lots of people complain about performance issues on the Galaxy S2 with all sorts of content, not just Phaser. It seems to be a notoriously underpowered device. So the combination of the Galaxy S2 and the Android stock browser is naturally going to be one of the worst case scenarios for your game. It's worth considering options like forcing running in SD rather than HD mode whenever you detect the Android stock browser, and other similar hacky solutions to try and get optimal performance under those conditions.

I'm also seeing some issues with Android 4.3 on a Galaxy s3. Chrome works great but on the native browser and firefox, the game runs well for about a minute before the frame rate suddenly drops from 50-60fps down to <10fps.

I've tried a bunch of tests and it seems those browsers are having a rendering issue, and it feels like a memory allocation issue or something similar due to the way it suddenly drops. Removing or making invisible enough display objects 'fixes' the problem.

The game is pretty simple with a background, some buttons, and about 60-70 sprites on the screen, and runs well in other browsers I've tested.

One possibility I wonder about is if my sprite sheets are too large?

I have 2 sheets at 1024x2048

and 1 at 2048x2048.