HTML5 vs Flash clarification

Devlop

Okay, I'm a newbie, and honestly when HTML5 first came out I was confused by this. I already know how to code with HTML4, and I thought that HTML5 is more of the same. But it turns out that it actually makes Flash obselete. The way I see flash websites, is that it makes website dynamic, interactive and a lot more flashy. I didn't know HTML5 can do these things. I guess my confusion comes from the fact that when developing in Flash, you have an application to make the animation etc and is more of a drawing tool. So how on earth do we do these things in HTML5 with code?!

And I can't really find tutorials on this. How do I develop a billiard game in HTML5 for example.

It would be good to know if we had a fancy application for HTML5 much like Flash where we can use the mouse to build our web pages instead of just coding.

Check this site for example http://www.adamhartwig.co.uk. I am totally perplexed how all this is done via coding. Forget about reading books for this cause I'm pretty sure after days of studying I still wouldn't be able to do this. I mean look at this http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp, it looks like a freaking joke. I honestly don't see how knowing this would make any difference in being able to implement that adamhartwig site!

Flash doesn't mean no code !
yes you can use Adobe Flash (the environement) to create animations ...etc but you can't do everything without code !

if you want an environement like flash there is Adobe Edge (the Adobe Flash equivalent for HTML5) but it's still far from being mature IMO

Actually there aren't that many tutorials out there.

It's like of using what you already know of HTML/CSS, combining it with a lot of Javascript/jQuery, analyzing existing pages with the debug tools...

For example, on the page you gave, for the letter effect, it is a simple use of background images. Check this letter for example: http://www.adamhartwig.co.uk/images/lettering/letters-title/1x/a.png

Flash doesn't mean no code !

yes you can use Adobe Flash (the environement) to create animations ...etc but you can't do everything without code !

if you want an environement like flash there is Adobe Edge (the Adobe Flash equivalent for HTML5) but it's still far from being mature IMO

By the way I'll be glad to share a project (not a game) but more of interactive animation developed with EDGE it'll be ready soon enought, and the only major downside is that you forget about IE7 and IE8.

Also i recommend playing with EDGE since it's cool to see some future IDE for HTML5 devs. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

I get discouraged sometimes. For example I've studied PHP and C++ for years. And I don't know if its just me, but when I can't do something, I don't think studying basics or even advanced concepts really help. And this is kinda annoying because it feels like I am the only one who feels this way. How the heck does learning the hello world crap, how to write a class, instantiate an object or know how object oriented programming work make any difference. From experience I figured I only learn from examples. When I can't do something people tell me to pick up a book. I study the entire book, it finishes, and I still don't have a solution to the problem. Why? Probably because my difficulty isn't about knowing how to code, but how to come up with a solution. Do you know what I mean?

Don't worry, I sometimes feel the same way about new tech and stuff. It gets depressing sometimes, when you've managed to do pretty well on something and thing changes but you haven't -- you'll need to catch up but things seem to move too fast. My advice is, take it slow, don't worry too much on getting things done quickly as expected. I also learn well with experience, so I'd rather not read a whole book but just look through the ones that are critically needed, the meaty info. And mostly experiment using the little info and advance from there. You'll have to realize that there are several ways people learn, one may feel comfortable and know better by reading a whole book, but others don't (like me).

Last but not least, don't forget to have fun! :). So good luck on venturing HTML5 game dev. It's pretty early to start and it's (hopefully) a good time to start now.

When I want to learn a new technology, I start a new personal project with that technology, the project fail, I learn from my errors.

the failure is part of learning process, so yes it's normal to fail. what is not normal is to give up while you really want to learn