[Phaser] Meteorfall

titmael

Hi,

I'm proud to present a preview of my first game : MeteorFall. I already made it tested by colleagues and friends.

The game is pretty simple : avoid yellow stars, get friendly rocks and destroy every planet on your path ! Everytime you arrive at the bottom you go back in space and continue.

Here some screens, like menu

1787732014043021h5745.png

In game

5702282014043021h5820.png

Just caught a bonus

9728882014043021h5844.png

You can find my blog and the game here : http://www.cookingsomegames.com/

Any feedback is appreciated.

Things to get done :

• Put new graphics when they are available (a friend is drawing)
  • Multiple graphics to represent a planet (graphic at the bottom)
  • Add animation when destroying a planet and when loosing
  • Add objects in space and sky (rocket, birds ...)

Hope you'll enjoy it  ;)

It really was charming once the clouds began to appear. I really liked the sky change. The gameplay suffered a bit from an inability to grow past a certain point. It felt somewhat pointless to collect rocks since they would immediately be taken away. Perhaps when you are hit a rock flies off that you can catch again (like the rings in Sonic). In spite of that, I found myself smiling at the silliness of it by the end. I would find ways to increase player choice and player reward within the middle of the game. Thanks for sharing what you have so far. Good luck with the rest of it!

Ryan

Thanks for your ideas and remarks, really appreciate.  ;)

The gameplay suffered a bit from an inability to grow past a certain point. It felt somewhat pointless to collect rocks since they would immediately be taken away.

You mean when you take a rock you get bigger but you take a star immediatly ?

Perhaps when you are hit a rock flies off that you can catch again (like the rings in Sonic). 

You can't move up & down. But I guess the amount of rocks isn't high enough ?

In spite of that, I found myself smiling at the silliness of it by the end.

Not sure what to understand  :lol:

I would find ways to increase player choice and player reward within the middle of the game. 

I thought about some bonus, like "bullet time" or shield. I'll reconsider it harder.

Ho got an idea : rocks keep their actual behavior but by collecting them you can by when you want a bonus (like money and instant shop).

Or maybe having 2-3 bonuses with a floor amount of rocks collected to activate, quicker and we don't pause the game.

It really was charming once the clouds began to appear. I really liked the sky change.

I thought about getting it appear sooner

What I mean is that the player cannot get very big before they are too big to avoid stars. Maybe have more rocks, but the player grows and shrinks slower.

I would not include a shop. The flow of your game should remain simple. A menu would complicate things too much.

You should definitely have the sky change happen sooner. Within at least the first 10 seconds. Players will stick around much longer that way.

Ok I got it for the size. I'll change for the sky too.

If a shop is too complicated for the game (that I do want to keep simple), keyboard or icon shortcuts to activate a bonus would be nice ?

(nice games you have done, waiting to play Treasure Chasm which reminds me Ridiculous Fiching on phone  :D)

Nightly update : http://www.cookingsomegames.com/meteorfall-nightly-update/

Just updated the game. Some improvements code side, better shield image and a double fix : now you start the next level with the same size and same amount of bonus of previous end level.

I also added best score with localstorage. I'll change it by a JS lib to use localstorage or cookies, but later ;)