How to use an Entity-component system with Phaser?

evanwalsh

Hello! I'm puzzling through how one would use an Entity-Component System with Phaser. Normally, I'd add a Sprite component to an Entity, but Sprites in Phaser are kind of like entities, in that they are more than just a texture. Also, Sprites are added to the Game, which then handles rendering them. Normally an ECS-style System would handle their display, so I'm feeling a bit lost.

How do I use an ECS with Phaser? Specifically, I'm trying to use ces.js, but if someone has a better library, let me know!

Thanks!

KiwiJs is supposed to be using the ECS pattern.  That is according to it's listed features on the main page.  I haven't actually looked at any of the code, so I can't speak to how well it's implemented.

One thing to note:  Crafty isn't really ECS.  It's more EC.

From the wiki article you pointed to: System: "Each System runs continuously (as though each System had its own private thread) and performs global actions on every Entity that possesses a Component of the same aspect as that System."

Where distinct systems would normally contain logic, Crafty bundles logic with components instead.