Recommended resolution for html5 mobile games?

Froton X

I was wondering what resolution most html5 games aim for as their standard? Since most devices have a 16:9 ratio, what resolution is best? I also hear most smartphones nowadays have a 960x540 res, are most games made with that resolution in mind or do you go for something smaller or bigger like 1280x720?

I'm asking since html5 games don't have the resources for advanced graphics yet, making the resolution smaller might and resizing it for devices might be the optimal choice, or am I underestimating smartphones?

personally I find that 320x480 works fine on most small devices (phones), but it tends to look blurry on desktop and tablets, so my games always support two resolutions 640x960 and 320x480, and depending on sponsor requests I select the appropriate resolution in the index.html.

For Tower Storm I made the main game area 960 x 640 but made it so it can work slightly scaled down as sites like Kongregate only allow a max width of 800px. For phones I wouldn't bother targetting smaller than 960 x 640 as the phones that have a resolution less than that usually aren't fast enough to play HTML 5 games at a decent FPS anyway (unless your game is extremely simple).

For phones I wouldn't bother targetting smaller than 960 x 640 as the phones that have a resolution less than that usually aren't fast enough to play HTML 5 games at a decent FPS anyway 

Of course this depends largely on whom you work with, but typically the publishers set a minimum requirement for the games they buy. And right now, this minimum requirement is way below those phones that can do 640x960 in a sensible manner. So you need to have a "low-fi" version, at least as as option, unless you want to shrink down your potential target market quite considerably.

So for less ambitious projects the standard resolution is still 320x480.