General HTML5 Game Dev Questions

gregmax17

Hello, just some random Q's here:

- when developing an HTML5, do ALL the assets (images, js, sounds, and maybe css?) need to be in one file?

- what is the max game file size with all the assets?

- what javascript scrambler do you use?

- do you use site locking?

- do you as a developer consider publishing it yourself, or just find someone else to do that by licensing it out?

- if you get your game licensed, can you develop a game with the same mechanics but change the theme? (this prob depends on the contract)

- do you email all html5 portal sites about your new game or do you use FGL?

I appreciate everyone's feedback, suggestions, and experiences.

Most likely, I will have more after I read from everyone's responses.

Thanks in advance.

- when developing an HTML5, do ALL the assets (images, js, sounds, and maybe css?) need to be in one file?

no, HTML5 games are basically just javascript for the game code, CSS to position and scale it correctly - then the graphic and sound assets are loaded externally.

- what is the max game file size with all the assets?

Bearing in mind most HTML5 games are designed to be played on mobile devices, it's not a bad idea to keep your game under 4MB.  Tools like tinyPNG can be very useful to compress your images.

Here's an online tool for minifying code, but there are many other ways to obfuscate your code

- do you use site locking?

no

- do you as a developer consider publishing it yourself, or just find someone else to do that by licensing it out?

a bit of both

- if you get your game licensed, can you develop a game with the same mechanics but change the theme? (this prob depends on the contract)

This is a grey area that you'll probably have to make a judgement depending on the game/theme/client/agreement

both, but contacting sponsors direct has been much more effective.  FGL do have new services for HTML5 developers that might be more effective for someone starting from scratch now though

I agree with mentuat on all answers, and I would add:

Npm's uglifyjs, I like it because I can call it from the command line and basically have a script file to make it easier for me.

Licensing only.

Some sponsors do require you don't just change the graphics and resell the game, at least when selling the game as an exclusive license

Both, I found some interesting sponsors buy selling my game in the Game Shop. And you can also add your game to FGL html5 platform, they pay you 200$ just to add the game.