Particle Editor for Proton or another lib

nixeldev

Hi Guys,

I've been asking around on twitter but as yet don't have an answer so I thought I'd ask here too :)

Does anyone know of a particle editor I could use with the proton lib? (http://a-jie.github.io/Proton/)

If not does anyone know any good particle libs I can use with Pixi which also come with a visual editor?

Cheers,

Dean

does anyone know any good particle libs I can use with Pixi which also come with a visual editor?

Hi Dean,

I don't know of one, but don't let Proton scare you :)

Its API is old-style and there's no documentation, but once you get the hang of it by looking at the example, it's really easy to use and very powerful.

An afternoon of serious study should be all you need to feel comfortable with it (that's what it took me.)

And then you can build your own custom high level API around it so that it's quick and easy for you to make particles in your games.

But..!

I would also love to know if anyone can point us to other particle engines that work with Pixi.

Hi Dean,

I don't know of one, but don't let Proton scare you :)

Its API is old-style and there's no documentation, but once you get the hang of it by looking at the example, it's really easy to use and very powerful.

An afternoon of serious study should be all you need to feel comfortable with it (that's what it took me.)

And then you can build your own custom high level API around it so that it's quick and easy for you to make particles in your games.

But..!

I would also love to know if anyone can point us to other particle engines that work with Pixi.

Thanks,

I would normally be ok working with particles in code, an editor is perhaps nicer for experimenting with but I'm happy otherwise. The reason I need one now though is for a client I'm working with, they have an artist who would like to design the particle systems himself but isn't comfortable working in code.

I might have a play around making a basic editor to work with Proton as it looks good from what I've played with so far. If I do I'll chuck it on github and link on here. See how much time I get, the deadlines are pretty tight as-is.

I started to have a play at making an editor myself for Proton, doesn't seem too difficult and I'll chuck whatever I cobble together up on github in case anyone wants to rip it apart and make something useful out of it ;-)

we are planning to add particle editor to MightyEditor. This won't come sooner than end of August, but anyways I'm letting you know if you'll still work on the same project. 

That MightyEditor looks really cool BTW!

Is it strictly for use with Phaser? As at the moment I'm looking for something independent I can integrate with my own framework.

Currently we are focusing on Phaser however you can use editor with other frameworks. Probably a small parser script has to be written for exported json data. 

Great, I would like to see editor for Proton. Maybe we could borrow something and implement into MightyEditor. Btw, our designer could help with particle editor UI if there is a need. We'll make UI design in any case.

I started to have a play at making an editor myself for Proton, doesn't seem too difficult and I'll chuck whatever I cobble together up on github in case anyone wants to rip it apart and make something useful out of it ;-)

If either of you guys can hack together a visual Proton editor with a generic JSON export, that will be incredibly useful for so many people!