Is Phaser Faster than Game Maker?

Aegis

Hi there everyone, my name is Alena.

I'm interested in trying to learn Phaser to replace Game Maker, due to how many bugs I keep running into in Game Maker. Also because Phaser appears to be faster and more optimized to make games for mobile. Is this true? And if so why? I've seen this website: http://www.lessmilk.com/phaser-tutorial/ Are there any other places with a more full course on learning Phaser.

Thanks

I'm also trying to learn phaser just like you, and there aren't really courses on the internet to help you out. You will have to discover most of the things yourself. What i did, i followed the tutorial on lessmilk's blog on how to make a flappy bird game, it was a pretty good tutorial to get some basis knowledge. Then after that i was just trying to improve that game myself, adding extra's. I used these to links as references, you might wanna bookmark these two:

http://examples.phaser.io

http://docs.phaser.io

And from what i've seen there are plenty of friendly people out here ready to help you out when you get stuck.

Good luck!

I agree with ssshenkie, It's hard to find a way to learn all of phaser from one place.

Phaser is great, It's fast, powerful, and has a great community!

After learning some javascript, I've followed Thomas Palef's tutorial (Lessmilk) on how to make a Flappy bird clone. However, that tutorial is for phaser 1.1 so you'll have many that aren't going to work with Phaser 2.0+. After I have made my version of the game, I wanted to create it with latest Phaser version. (2.0.7 right now) It wasn't easy. With the help of the Phaser examples and the awesome community here, I finished it.

It's available as Open Source if you're interested. It's fully commented and you'll learn Most of Phaser's basics through the code. LINK

However, there's many places to get started. For example you can check the Phaser examples or Read the docs or follow some tutorials. (Thomas Palef has listed a lot of Phaser tutorials, I'd recommend you to check the ones with Phaser 2.0+)

He's also working on re-writing his tutorial to phaser 2.0.* so you might want to follow him.

My first big Phaser tutorial was this one here:

http://www.codevinsky.com/phaser-2-0-tutorial-flappy-bird-part-1/

Its a Flappy Bird tutorial, but it teaches you how to set up your work flow and can be applied to larger projects.

Emanuele Feronato blogs pretty frequently with posts on simple Phaser tutorials, so check him out:

http://www.emanueleferonato.com/

Thanks for the links guys,

I think I'll start with Jonathan Alphonso's Flappy Bird tutorial as it's for 2.0+ and then check out LessMilks's one and Hady Hayman's 2.0 version of it. The Phaser example website is really helpful, I've bookmarked it for once I know the basics.

Can anyone confirm Phaser as being faster as it's the main reason for me wanting to learn it, or is it just down to your programming skills?  ;)

Thanks

this depends on so many things..   

# do you need physics?  if so..  there are 3 systems to use with phaser.. arcade (fastest), ninja (fast) , p2 (ok)    the latter one is the most powerful system..

# so which system will u use?

# do you use tilemaps ? 

# do you need to scroll your tilemaps?

# will you use canvas or webgl?

i'm just asking because i think i am using almost everything that eats up cpu power..  i use p2 physics with loads of constrains, springs, polygons, animations, text, tilemaplayers, scrolling..  the renderperformance of tilemap layers is really bad but  my game plays at 60fps on my desktop (highend pc, in chrome).. forcing canvas..

but only 30-50 fps on my nexus7 (chrome)

and freaking 60fps on my nexus7 when compiled with cocoonjs (canvas) as android app :)

so .. performance is quite oke but it is definitely in your hand how oke it is :D:ph34r:

Hi Valueerror,

What I want to learn it for is physics based puzzle games(above anything else), like Cut the Rope, Angry Birds etc... All I'm wondering is whether Phaser can handle games like this on mobile, as Game Maker run's a test demo I made on mobile at 10-15 fps all it had in it was three rectangles and the player which was a circle and the fps really struggled. I tested this on IPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Do you have any experience with this type of game? I've heard of things like having layers and only redrawing things that move or something. Could you explain?

Thanks

http://test.xapient.net/phaser/attm/   have a look at my demo game i've made for my students..  this runs at almost 60fps when compiled with ludei / cocoonjs..

this game for example is made with gamemaker..  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kitogoru.rundroid&hl=de

your 10-15fps seem very odd..  gamemaker should be faster than that..  there must be something else wrong IMHO

The type of game I mean't was one usually made with Box2D. You can't really compare the Game Maker game you posted with the test demo I made because I used game maker's Box2D engine while that appears to be a simple platformer. Which you probably wouldn't use Box2D to make. I also tested it in a Html5 web browser not android(Which is substantially faster)

Just to add a few things:

1) The Lessmilk tutorials are now all updated for Phaser 2

2) Check out the phaser.io homepage "News" list - it's a bit of a wall of text, but there are many many great tutorials listed on there

3) We're in the process of updating p2 to the latest build, which will help performance (a little, but better than nothing!)

4) We have a full Box2d Phaser plugin in development, it's around 50% complete right now (and honestly quite awesome. Disclaimer: it won't be free, sorry)

5) Everything you do, everything lnie you code has the potential to impact performance. For the better or the worse.

Just to add a few things:

1) The Lessmilk tutorials are now all updated for Phaser 2

2) Check out the phaser.io homepage "News" list - it's a bit of a wall of text, but there are many many great tutorials listed on there

3) We're in the process of updating p2 to the latest build, which will help performance (a little, but better than nothing!)

4) We have a full Box2d Phaser plugin in development, it's around 50% complete right now (and honestly quite awesome. Disclaimer: it won't be free, sorry)

5) Everything you do, everything lnie you code has the potential to impact performance. For the better or the worse.

Thanks Rich, it's an honour to meet the developer of Phaser. ;) So far Phaser has been a pleasure to work with. I'm planning on making a full game with it soon to get down the basics like menus, GUI, tweens etc...  Which I'll post here for feedback. Do you have any suggestions for a type of project I could try and make that would help me learn some of Phaser's more useful features. Thanks

• 4 months later...