Where to start

aladine

Hello everyone,

I am very interesting in making HTML5 games and dynamic web applications. As someone with a Flash background, I want to remake my flash games, and also some of the full-flash websites (most of them are portfolio for artists and designers), Using HTML5 technology, 

i also made some Java game prototypes and only one desktop applications (i got payed for it B) ) , so am not a programming noob, but also am not a professional, and for HTML and JavaScript i still remember some of what they teaches us at high school and college, so, any suggestions, advise or links to get started   :rolleyes:  ?    

thank you very much 

I'd start by forgetting the javascript they taught you at college :) most traditional js dev is based around web sites, not game code. As you're coming from Flash I would strongly recommend looking at TypeScript, you can even use it with FlashDevelop (although I still prefer Visual Studio or WebStorm on OS X). Bookmark html5rocks.com, it has lots of great content. And try buildnewgames.com too - but most of all just get stuck in really, pull down some js game libs from github, look at their source, read some best practises for doing speedy canvas stuff and just start making something - you'll pick it up in next to no time really. If you're a book sort of person I'd recommend the Core HTML5 Canvas book by Geary or the Friends of Ed HTML5 game book by Jeff and Steve Fulton.

Hello alaslipknot,

we gathered a lot of learning resources already in this topic.

A good source for all things HTML5 related is HTML5Rocks, for special canvas tutorials, I suggest having a look at html5canvasturorials.com

And if you have further questions, feel free to ask any time here at the board, or join out IRC channel for a quick chat :)

Hi Rich, 

I'd start by forgetting the javascript they taught you at college :) most traditional js dev is based around web sites, not game code. As you're coming from Flash I would strongly recommend looking at TypeScript, you can even use it with FlashDevelop (although I still prefer Visual Studio or WebStorm on OS X). Bookmark html5rocks.com, it has lots of great content. And try buildnewgames.com too - but most of all just get stuck in really, pull down some js game libs from github, look at their source, read some best practises for doing speedy canvas stuff and just start making something - you'll pick it up in next to no time really. If you're a book sort of person I'd recommend the Core HTML5 Canvas book by Geary or the Friends of Ed HTML5 game book by Jeff and Steve Fulton.

i always knew that college is useless  <_< ....

anyway, 

thank you very much for these advice  :D , i already bookmarked html5rocks.com and few other websites but as you said, am a book person, i prefer reading a full book that take me from beginning to the "end" in a continued way then i'll be able to read articles and tutorials on websites like that, so about the books,

i have already received one from a friend (which is the main reason that encouraged me to hit html5)  it's called :

"Foundation HTML5 Canvas, For Games and Entertainment by Rob Hawkes"  (from Apress) am gonna start reading it tonight but if you do recommend the books you mentioned more than this one then i think i'll be able to grab one before the end of this week .  

Hello Chris,

thank you for replying  :) and your links are happily bookmarked ^_^  

thanx a lot guys (seems that am in love with a new Forum :wub: )