Books / tutorials teaching game development algorithm

plicatibu

Hi, all.

I'm programming since 1991 and I know many languages (C/C++, java, c#, among others).

Some time ago I decide to make games. I made two very similar games just to learn the very basics.

I also bought Emanuele Feronato 's book where he teaches how to develop game games. 

What I love about his book is that he explains in details the game logic and why he did stuff the way he did.

It helps you to understand the algorithm involved in the game development. 

I'm wondering whether you have other books / sites to recommend that use the same approach Emanuele uses (apart from his site that I already read).

Thanks. 

I haven't read Emanuele Feronato's book but I'd still highly recommend you this book:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Game-Design-book-lenses/dp/0123694965  by Jesse Schell. I just found a random review

"Anyone can master the fundamentals of game design - no technological expertise is necessary. The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses shows that the same basic principles of psychology that work for board games, card games and athletic games also are the keys to making top-quality videogames. Good game design happens when you view your game from many different perspectives, or lenses. While touring through the unusual territory that is game design, this book gives the reader one hundred of these lenses - one hundred sets of insightful questions to ask yourself that will help make your game better. These lenses are gathered from fields as diverse as psychology, architecture, music, visual design, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, writing, puzzle design, and anthropology. Anyone who reads this book will be inspired to become a better game designer - and will understand how to do it."

Thank you so much for replying. 

I aware about this book. It is so generic.

What I am looking for is for books /tutorials that explain the game logic for specific games, detailing how they work and so there algorithm. 

For instance,  see this tutorial from Feronato: Creation of a complete Flash Tetris Game http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2011/05/02/creation-of-a-complete-flash-tetris-game/)

Regards.

My worry with books like this is that you only ever learn how to make just one type of game, in one way, rather than learning fundamental building blocks that could help you make any sort of game you ever wanted.

I also find the quality of the code in the Feronato book pretty horrendous I'm afraid. I remember writing a review about it years ago, and I wasn't too nice I'm afraid :) But hey, if you learnt something from it that's good I guess. People learn in all kinds of different ways, and there is definitely room in the market for that sort of book.

I see your point but I like to learn the algorithm for a game and then expand it to other similar games. It seems easier to me to understand this area that I like so much but that is so far from my day job.

And I have to confess I'm a Feronato's fan boy.

The little I know I learned in his site / book.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...