Pixi, flash, flwebgl and swf all together ?

DBA999

Hi everybody,

hope you will forgive and understand my bad english (from france here) 

I'm a very occasional coder. Most of the time I don't know what I'm doing but never stop until it works  :rolleyes:

I am currently working on a project for a digital comics I am drawing. 

As the main purpose is to be able to set graphic scenes, panels, pages and so on, in a visual environnement, I choose to construct my digital comic in flash pro CC which is a very simple tool for building 2D scenes with animations and sound. Then, I use the flwebgl javascript tool made by Adobe for exporting flash scenes into webgl canvases (they also use createjs sound library) and then use the flwebgl API to add some interactivity in my html5 page. But both flwebgl and its API are very basic. 

Especially the renderer. I miss a lot of features included in Pixi. 

So my question is  : is there a way to use Pixi as the final renderer on another webgl library like the one used in flash pro cc ?

To be honest, I have no idea how their library works. My knowledge in coding is too limited, definitely. You can have a look on flwebgl here : https://github.com/claus/flwebgl.ts/blob/master/lib/flwebgl-0.2.js

(absolute chinese to me  :ph34r: )

For those interested by using flash animation with webgl I recommand to give a try at OpenFl. It seems more complete than the adobe library but very more complex too. Too much for me, I must say ... And the assembling process is too complex for a simple project like mine.

But maybe there is another way to exploit swf flash animations with Pixi ?  :huh:

163 views and 0 answer ?  :unsure:

Was my question unclear, or full of nonsense in some way ?  :wacko:

(Or is flash itself blacklisted here ? )

Let me know if my question has to be more specific or just formulated in a better english, I'll try my best.

Thx  :)

So my question is  : is there a way to use Pixi as the final renderer on another webgl library like the one used in flash pro cc ?

To be honest, I have no idea how their library works. My knowledge in coding is too limited, definitely...

163 views and 0 answer ?  :unsure:

Was my question unclear, or full of nonsense in some way ?  :wacko:

(Or is flash itself blacklisted here ? )

Let me know if my question has to be more specific or just formulated in a better english, I'll try my best.

Thx  :)

I suspect this has not attracted many answers as it is something few have attempted (I wouldn't).

Cheat-ish answer is that you can layer HTML5 canvases on top of each other (like layers in Photoshop), so you can have one canvas rendered by library A and another by library B and have them not really tread on each other's toes (atleast too badly)

As for two WebGL library's sharing a single canvas, I'm sure it's doable but my gut feeling is your going to have a bad time, especially if you aren't a strong coder and don't want to get you're hands dirty digging into the specifics of what both libraries are doing behind the scenes.

Ok, then. Thanks a lot guys.

Seems like most people just don't use Flash in their workflow. Take a look at this one http://springroll.io/, which might be what you are looking for.

Yeah, I didn't know springroll and it deserves full interest. Thx.

I suspect this has not attracted many answers as it is something few have attempted (I wouldn't).

If it wasn't for the scene editor I would'nt consider flash, me neither. But flash is exactly what I need to build my animations on a visual timeline and is still very well known by artists who are already very familiar with lot of adobe interfaces and traditionaly unable to dig into code. The thing is I don't code only for myself, I want the final result to be easily usable for other artists. 

Cheat-ish answer is that you can layer HTML5 canvases on top of each other (like layers in Photoshop), so you can have one canvas rendered by library A and another by library B and have them not really tread on each other's toes (atleast too badly)

Indeed. I just discovered I could have multiple html5 layers on top on a canvas but I won't use it except for some GUI features. Pixi interested me for the renderer. Using it as a post effect engine on top would not be very optimal

As for two WebGL library's sharing a single canvas, I'm sure it's doable but my gut feeling is your going to have a bad time, especially if you aren't a strong coder and don't want to get you're hands dirty digging into the specifics of what both libraries are doing behind the scenes.

True words too. Getting my hands dirty does not scare me at all. I spent lot of time into the guts of the flash beast and eventually could discover and use precious undocumented functions and properties. But that's the best I can do because the deep rendering engine remains esoteric to me :D

Anyway, thanks a lot again. My digital comics players is in good way to do the job and I'm sure I will have other opportunities to play with Pixi.

You might want to check out PixiFlash, which is something my studio has been working on over the last month to use the existing HTML5 publishing pipeline from Flash Pro to export to Pixi. It's a little of a hack, but it works. We're working on a better Pixi solution to this problem. Here's an animation example generated with PixiFlash.