[WIP] Devader (AntiMiner)

marcgfx

160107hex.jpg

---edit---
link no longer works, there is a download on the homepage now as I could not handle all browser issues
http://falkenbrew.com
---edit---

controls:
WASD for movement, mouse to target and shoot,
E/right click releases a large rocket at the target
Q/middle mouse button to place turrets

aim of the game: don't die and kill those pesky spiders that are eating the hexas. if you die, or all the hexas are gone, you lose.
the game was created for a small fun contest with the theme "mining and herds", this was my take on it.

I'm still missing a start/end screen with a highscore list. not quite sure if I should try to use facebook api for this.

glad you enjoyed it!

I've been thinking about adding powerups, but I'm not so sure I should. the way it's currently designed, a session usually lasts about 9minutes for me. by then my health is very low and the hexas are all gone. If I add powerups, this will make it easier to survive, but the hexas will be mined out. If I do add powerups, I would need something that protects the hexas too.

It would also add another button. what I could do is replace the nuke/rocket with a collectable extra. e.g. auto-turret, nuke, spider-slow-down etc... might be something worth thinking about, but it would also add complexity.

• 2 weeks later...

added turrets. you start out with 3 and gain another one every 500 kills. they will get destroyed if they get swarmed badly, so you will have to check on them sometimes too. not sure if adding turrets is a good or a bad idea, but it does help keep the spiders in check. it also helped me improve some performance issues (but adds to the issue as well). so far I can still only recommend chrome, but I have heard opera does ok too.

keys:

WASD/arrows for movement
Q/middle mouse button for turret
E/right mouse button for nuke

160116hex.jpg

http://data.cyberlympics.com/html/game.html?param=AntiMiner_1&view=1&shader=4

thanks staff0rd :) 
the two arms are independent and have a angle-range they can get too. in some cases the arm gets stuck behind the back, as the closest angle to the target would lead through the bot, but the limitation kicks in. I should probably just limit the arms movement even more, then this won't happen, but it's kind of cool too :P 

the nuke is currently a little disappointing, glad you pointed that out. I find it quite difficult to make good explosions, but I will try my best.

thanks for playing and your feedback!

I've updated the nuke, both the sound and visuals are improved :) 
I've also added a few new spider types, but its damn hard to get so far.

@staff0rd: weapon pickups. I'm not sure about them. If I do add weapon pickups, it would greatly affect balance/difficulty. I would also need to add something like lives/death/respawn, as otherwise the upgrades would just add up endlessly with no risk of losing them. but then it would be pretty much like every other arcade shooter. might be a good idea, might not. the way it is now, you have to play hard from the beginning, to make sure you have the best condition for later on. no slacking :) 
@RedFragment: I agree, some of the bots are quite hard to see (especially the little yellow ones), not sure if this just makes them even more annoying in a good way.

next thing I really want to tackle is the scoring / highscore list. I will likely have one for kills and another one with a score based on the amount of hexas you protected for how long.

:D thanks stafford! I was not aware of that, but it makes sense. both games (the other is a racing game) are based on the same code. I got a bit fed up with the racing, as I had too many tasks and no solutions. I then took part in a small game-jam, making anti-miner. since then I've been trying to polish it. I want to be able to finally release something and AntiMiner is the simpler one.

the key-binding thing is weird. it is possible to rebind the keys in the racing-games settings panel, but I doubt you tried that. I still have to come up with a real start-screen/settings for anti-miner, so that will eventually be resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working intensely on AntiMiner, but I still have lot to do.
- Dead spiders now leave somes splatter, so you can get a better understanding of how much you have already killed :)
- You get brought in by a spaceship. It also comes to collect you every 5 levels
- You can chose 2 out of 9 different updates every 5 levels

Balancing the upgrades is proving to be very difficult. I was hoping to be able to make all upgrades viable to max out, but that might be impossible.
Currently it seems best to build a lot of the turrets and upgrade them (placement is very important though).
But I would like to encourage players to also go the more offensive route. I have been thinking about not counting Turret-Kills fo the player. Then using the actual kills to maybe allow getting additional upgrades. At the moment it's not possible to identify the killer though and it gets very complicated as some spiders can explode killing even more spiders... chain reaction kills!

160124splat.jpg

160128upgrade.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just noticed the link to in my first post was off... I changed the game from HexMiner to AntiMiner and it was still pointing at the old game-code :rolleyes:

I've made a new loading screen background. the previous one had some visual issues, I could not get the ground to look decent. this one is a lot simpler, what do you think?

title.jpg

added controller support. It's more difficult than with the mouse though. but if I do add local multiplayer, I needed an alternative way of controlling. the toughest part is making all the menus work with mouse/keyboard and gamepad. I might end up open-sourcing my solution, but I would have to add a lot of documentation.

I'm trying to make the game more interesting. I'm thinking boss-fights, or at least a larger variety of enemies.

the centipede:
160216cat.jpg
it's just a few spiders walking behind each other hidden by some armor. the effect is quite good though.

the tentacle monster:
I was playing around with the centipede. then started making something like a snake, which is really just a tentacle... so I decided to see what would happen if I added branching. many hours later this thing appeared.
160216kot.jpg

made a gif for of the tentacle monster. unfortunately it was 63mb so I've uploaded it to gfycat
http://gfycat.com/UnhappyOpenKarakul

both new creations are quite performance hungry as every element also collides with other elements. not quite sure how I will add them to the game yet, but I'm pretty sure I have to now :D

experimenting with potential boss-candidates

160217boss.jpg
only the bottom element can be attacked. when you destroy it, the next one topples down and starts firing (more shots)

160218rec.jpg
playing with a recursive enemy structure. everything rotates around the respective centers.

the visuals are not final, I just needed something to work with. maybe I need to go a bit more organic, so that it fits better with the other enemies.

:D thanks staff0rd

to be honest its very timid atm... just sits around rotates and lets you blast it to death. but that will change and I hope it will really be terrifying :D

160219energy2.jpg

removed the place holder for the enery connections. might still be too bright, the yellow/green shield was not that bad. 

the game is written in javascript using my own webgl engine. I also made my own dom-engine originally (as the original game was in plain html, no canvas), but have switched to jquery/underscore for most of the gui by now. I've worked on the whole package for waaaay too long :P