Export settings for assets using adobe illustrator

missymoon

Hello all,

I'm brand new to this and I hope someone can help here.  I'm a vector artist and working on doing phaser to help code interactivity on my apps.  I work in adobe illustrator.  Does anyone know what the proper export settings are for my images created in there?  Phaser supports .png which is no problem for me, I just need to know what raster settings I should use when exporting to .png for phaser.  I've looked and looked and cannot find the answer to this.  Every time I see a tutorial, the assets have already been created and they don't talk about how to export them out of Illustrator.  Any help at all is appreciated.  If there is a topic on this already, please let me know and I'll go to it.

Hi deepsky88,

I'm trying to get more specific numbers.  When you say png standard, is the resolution 72dpi?  When I try that from illustrator my images look a little fuzzy in the web browser.

Hi samme,

I have the export options to save for web from Adobe Illustrator.  That gives me gif, jpeg, png-8 and png-24.  I also have the option to export as a png with resolutions 72, 150 and 300 dpi. 

The nominal resolution (dpi) doesn't matter because browsers always use 1 dot = 1 pixel. But 72 is fine.

PNG-8 is 256 colors and PNG-24 is millions. You can use PNG-24 to keep it simple.

For fuzziness, see https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/drawing-pixel-aligned-paths-web.html. I think if you make a new document from the Web profile, Align New Objects to Pixel Grid is on by default.

Hi Samme,

That adobe article lead me to more research and I found out this is a common problem with illustrator and designing for web.  I've got a good work around for my current files with aligning all objects to the pixel grid and then exporting the file out of photoshop.  It's not quite as crisp as when viewed on the ipad but it's very close.  Now I know for future documents to do the web setting and to align all objects with the pixel grid.  Thanks again for pointing me in that direction, it helped me figure out the problem.