Reusing objects during game play, or using the new operator

jalex

When programming my HTML5 2d game I noticed that using the new operator during game play can be quite expensive sometimes if many objects are created. So I wonder what is good practice here? When you implement your game do you always create the objects that are going to be dynamically used from start (for objects such as particles, ammunation, explosions etc), and then reuse them during game play?

Just an addition, basically just realize the amount of objects you have. For example, a bullet hell game needs tons of bullets, but they're all the same, that's when your mind should come up with object pool. The rest can go over later. Just make sure you know your game design, then scale from it. Not everything always need a pool (or the pool count must be quite precise) cause you may run out of memory there especially in low-end mobile device, so use it wisely.

2 hours ago, Alectora said:

Just an addition, basically just realize the amount of objects you have. For example, a bullet hell game needs tons of bullets, but they're all the same, that's when your mind should come up with object pool. The rest can go over later. Just make sure you know your game design, then scale from it. Not everything always need a pool (or the pool count must be quite precise) cause you may run out of memory there especially in low-end mobile device, so use it wisely.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I have noticed when programming the last few days that perhaps not all "new" need to be removed. I have got some bonus items that appears now and then that I will not use a pool for, but then I have a weather effect with hundreds of new objects, so there I used a pool. It made a difference.