hoverboard setup

syed samoon

Hi ss.  I think folks want you to make a demo scene using our playground... so everyone can help.

But you are lucky, today.  Another user once STARTED a playground of a hover-board.  It is HUGE.  It will take you many many hours to learn what it is doing.

http://playground.babylonjs.com/#YTKM2D#19

Active Keys:
     SHIFTED arrow keys ... translate board left/right/forward/backward (might need to HOLD keys down)
     SHIFTED PageUp/PageDown keys ... translate board up/down (might need to HOLD keys down)
     CONTROL arrow keys ... rotate board ROLL left/right PITCH up/down (might need to HOLD keys down)
     CONTROL PageUp/PageDown ... YAW board left/right (might need to HOLD keys down)

SOME speed setters are at lines 21 & 23.

Known Problems:
    Hover (done in render loop) has unwanted bouncing.
    No CONTROL or SHIFTED keypresses work... after RE-RUN.  Playground must be saved, then FULL RELOAD after any playground edit.  Poss prob with scene.onDispose().
    Needs many tweaks/adjustments.  Currently quite difficult to control, like many physics-active scenes.
    Overkill keypress handling - Shift and Control + Numeric keypad also works. Shift and Control + keys surrounding the "L" key... also works.   ( k  o  ;  . )

BUT... still... you are getting one nice starter playground/scene.  SO lucky you are... that somebody has provided ALL THIS FUNCTIONALITY... eh?   You have done no work, and gotten pretty good hover-board demo!  You should be quite happy and study it carefully... so you can make it better. 

The code is yours.  The original author said that ANYONE can use the code for anything they please.  You can even say that YOU wrote it!   SO SO lucky!   :)   You should celebrate, eh?  I will celebrate, too.  America celebrated thanks-giving yesterday.  Appropriate, eh?  Gobble gobble!  ;)  Be well!

2 hours ago, aWeirdo said:

I'm just here to spread a bit of my negativity towards over-complicating simple things with physics engines and say;

HoverBoard.position.y += .5;

or even with animation https://playground.babylonjs.com/#1UCV04

:P

i have a doubt.

while i'm apply gravity to scene then hoverboard will fall down

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#1

@syed samoon

You have to add a physicsImpostor to the ground :P 

but the example i made previously won't work with a physics engine, that was the point of it :) 

We can however make it work.

In the following PG i'm applying the animation to the pivotMatrix instead of position.y,
the board appears to be above the ground aswell as move up and down as it animates,
but the position.y actually stays the same and we can now apply impulses, etc, (uncomment line 61)

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#5

Now say you have a player character aswell to stand on the board,
we remove the board's scaling and create it with the correct dimensions to start with, we can then simply parent the player to the board and move the player upwards. 
https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#6

:D  I'm pretty sure that the REAL hoverboards... have MIDI drumpad triggers  pressure sensors.  It KNOWS when the rider is out-of-balance, and moves itself in a direction to help re-establish rider balance.

Of course, it does this much more gently than the current Raggar Rodeo-Board  :D

What is needed here... is crop-dusting-plane smoothness and high-banked smooth cornering.  We have never had a camera path-maker that was nicely smooth and bankful, either.  Not an easy task... I suspect.  @NasimiAsl built a cool thing too, but it's not working atm.  Perhaps he will help us fix it.

We're a bit off-topic, but... hey... when a user asks for "the world", then they GET "the world"... at this forum.  :)

20 hours ago, aWeirdo said:

@syed samoon

You have to add a physicsImpostor to the ground :P 

but the example i made previously won't work with a physics engine, that was the point of it :) 

We can however make it work.

In the following PG i'm applying the animation to the pivotMatrix instead of position.y,
the board appears to be above the ground aswell as move up and down as it animates,
but the position.y actually stays the same and we can now apply impulses, etc, (uncomment line 61)

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#5

Now say you have a player character aswell to stand on the board,
we remove the board's scaling and create it with the correct dimensions to start with, we can then simply parent the player to the board and move the player upwards. 
https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#6

thanks,

but can u explain its logic

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#36UHXZ#26  [and #27]  [and #28]  [and #25, the best one] but... [there's #29, too]

weeeee!  Gonna hurl.  :)  I recently updated all those PG's ... for the BJS v3.2 changes to setPivotMatrix(BABYLON.Matrix.Translation(0, -3, 0), false);

Does ANYONE know the logic of a hoverboard?  How much tilt... with how much thrust newtons... carrying how much weight... how far above ground... using how wide of a thrust-dispersion footprint... what's the formula?  Is that the kind of logic you are seeking, SS? 

Sorry... I should not butt-in... but some of us don't understand what you are asking.  There is very little logic in a board that ONLY has a simple up and down Y-axis animation running.  The board has no "game logic"... or very little.  Nobody has programmed any characteristics that define/declare how a hoverboard... is supposed to act/work.  Who could?  We would need to invent one first, no?  *shrug* 

Sorry, I am lost.  Others will comment soon.  Stay tuned. :)

• 5 months later...

Did you mean these specifications:

For example: This hoverboard from Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/HYPER-GOGO-Hoverboard-Balancing-Certified/dp/B06WGW7VYQ/

1. Motor power: 800W(400W *2)
2. Battery Capacity: 4300 mAh
3. Adapter: DC 42=2A(UL,CE, RoHS, FCC)
4. Full charging time: 2.5h
5. Product Size: 700*220*230mm
6. Net Weight: 14.5kg
7. Max Speed: 15km/h(7 mph) 
8. Maximum loading: 120kg
9. Range per full Charge:15km
10. Max Angle Exceeds : 15°
11. Wheel Size: 8.5inch 
12. Suitable Temperature: -10 - 45 ℃
13. Color: Black

Hope this helps!

best-self-balancing-hoverboard-electric-scooter-with-ul-certified.jpg

Hi LunaAS, welcome to the forum.

What, do you work-for Hyper GO-GO inc, or something?  Like we really needed the advert. :D  Might have happened accidentally... forum software acts weird, sometimes.

If you edited that post and deleted everything but the URL, that would be good, huh?  ;)

But, in general, no... that wheeled thing's specs are not applicable.  We are talking about "Back to the Future" movie... hover boards... that really hover (nothing touches the ground).

Since a true hover board has not been invented or become plausible, no specs are available for it.  I was only trying to get forum users to imagine what specs WOULD be found/important on a Back-to-the-Future-like real hover board.  (One that ACTUALLY defies gravity and hovers.)

I think maybe "reactor heat" might be an important spec on anti-grav devices.  Don't want to melt your sneakers to the board, ya know.  :D

On 11/25/2017 at 4:11 PM, Wingnut said:

Does ANYONE know the logic of a hoverboard?  How much tilt... with how much thrust newtons... carrying how much weight... how far above ground... using how wide of a thrust-dispersion footprint... what's the formula?  Is that the kind of logic you are seeking, SS? 

Yas, ok so you would in theory have what two thrust vectors?  I guess your thrust vector count would be dependent on the number of 'hover pads' you were using for your arrangement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_vectoring

vecthrst.gif

You would not be producing lift from air foils though, but from thrust vectors directly opposing gravity.

In the most basic form it would be two hover pads on the bottom of a single frame.  Both would produce fixed thrust vectors of like
tA = vec3(0,-energyOut,0).scale(groundDistanceFalloff);  
tB = vec3(0,-energyOut,0).scale(groundDistanceFalloff); 

which would equate to lift on the frame straight up around a central pivot on the frame which should be the point in the middle of all the hover pads.
You could then decrease the energy in the front one or have the 'rider' apply extra down force on the forward pad,  apply the new angle to your thrust vectors and calculate the force to get forward/slightly tilted-upward movement.  For turning you have a 'rider' who can apply rotation force around the pivot or tilt the thrust vectors side to side.

I could totally mock this up, but prolly wont have the time here soon. 

Think dual prop helicopters but reverse (and with no rotational torque), for the same concept with tilted thrust vectors.

COOL POST, P8!  fun!

Thrust?  Umm... I don't think we will be allowed that much dust-raising and nozzle-whistle noise... esp in residential neighborhoods.  :D

I think we will need electromagnetics and/or ELF wave tech.  :)  Perhaps crystals and pyramid power, too.

It's not thrust if the sky is lifting/forwarding you, right?

Yeah, I know, I know.  The sky has no "lifting hoverboarders" in its job description.  *nod*.  :)

What I was sort-of hoping-for... was doing SOMETHING to the earth beneath the hoverboard.... to counteract gravity.  Thrust is ONE way... but.... so noisy and picnic-ruining.

Gravity wells.  yeah.  :)  Has anyone figured out if gravity is a suction which comes from the Earth or a downward force which comes from outer space... yet?

Should we be able to spin a bowling ball that's hanging from a rope, and place a dime on the surface, and it should stick to the ball, due to gravity?  hmm.

If a guy could continuously spin a frisbee... fast enough... hmm.  Von Karman vortices!   Coooool.  err.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPBp4flBxU8

Nope, that would be airfoil lift which is calculated with thrust vector, angle of attack, vector origin and a gravity vector.  Ours is a whole other process then that; what we would be doing with a hoverboard setup is the thrust vectors are also providing the lift, like a rocket.  So just Thrust, thrust origin, and gravity.  You could incorporate drag as well, but unless you are trying to do a sim then it would be useless.