How to view this .DDS file from playground

ozRocker

There's a DDS file used in a lot of the skybox examples that's hosted on the Playground host.

Its this one http://playground.babylonjs.com/textures/environment.dds

I want to view the actual image to see how its laid out but I can't find any free software out there that will open it (desktop and online viewers).  They all say it has a corrupt header.

Does anyone know how to view this particular image?

• In case you have Photoshop (of course it's not free neither open source...), you can install this (old but still working on photoshop CC) Nvidia plugin. I think it allows a better visualization than PVRTextool.

rON2MwE.png

Windows Texture Viewer shows the colours perfectly but for some reason PVRTexTool has some weird highlights in there.

I'm trying to create my own .DDS skybox using PVRTexTool but I can't get it working on iPhone, even though environment.dds works.

I tried without encoding and with encoding DTX, ETC and PVRTC.  I get errors like:

Unsupported FourCC code - DX10

Unsupported FourCC code - PTC4

Compressed textures are not supported on this platform

Does anyone know how to create a .DDS skybox that works on iOS devices.

Ah, iPhone.  That only supports PVRTformat not PXT.  BJS only supports DXT in a DDS.  You need to use a .ktx container & follow doc I linked above. 

Edit: cube textures were never tested for .ktx, so might not work.  Not sure why this needs to be compressed anyway.  It is a tiny file.  Maybe just do skyboxes without doing a compressed form.  I unfortunately do not know how.

4 hours ago, JCPalmer said:

Ah, iPhone.  That only supports PVRTformat not PXT.  BJS only supports DXT in a DDS.  You need to use a .ktx container & follow doc I linked above. 

Edit: cube textures were never tested for .ktx, so might not work.  Not sure why this needs to be compressed anyway.  It is a tiny file.  Maybe just do skyboxes without doing a compressed form.  I unfortunately do not know how.

environment.dds works on iPhone.  Does that mean that it wasn't compressed at all?