Phaser 1.1.6 Released ("Shienar") - the last of the 1.x family

rich

Hi all,

As we start finishing-up the Phaser 2.0 release we noticed that there were still a number of great additions made in the dev branch or via feedback that we didn't want to ignore. So tonight I pushed the 1.1.6 release which contains some small but essential physics and tilemap fixes, lots of documentation updates and other bug fixes across the core which you can see on github: https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser

This signifies the final release in the 1.x family. A version which has done us extremely proud since the 1.0 release back on September 13th 2013. It may seem like quite a jump from a 1.0 to 2.0 in just six months, but that's how fast the library has evolved, mostly in part to the awesome feedback and support we see on these forums. We will focus on solidifying the API and freezing it as much as possible when 2.0 ships this March, as we're now seeing Phaser being used widely in the industry and starting to be picked up in education too, where a fixed API is a requirement. Before we were able to shift the API around at will, moving and changing things as we saw fit - but we now have a much wider responsibility and one we're taking very seriously from 2.0 onwards.

It's a shame that 1.x will end with some known physics issues still outstanding, and I do apologise for that. But it was a case of splitting resource in half and slowing down progression of both 2.0 and 1.x, or accepting that we needed to move to a proper full-body physics system, and fast. If anything the issues we know exist in 1.1.4+ helped motivate us like nothing on earth to get 2.0 shipped as soon as possible, and we're extremely happy with progress and performance so far.

At this point in time we're aiming for a March 13th release date. After which we'll take stock and focus purely on tutorials and sample games for a while.

To everyone who has used Phaser, in whatever incarnation, thank you.

great to here :)  

@education.  starting with phaser and a bunch of students next week - we're going to give 2.0 a try. because they don't want to learn an outdated version they decided to be oke with typical development verison problems. but as far as i can see there won't be much problems and it will suit us well and we will grow with it ...  

thank you very much for creating this great framework/library/engine :)

Hey guys!

Im all new to Phaser, but have decided to use it for my game development. If 1.2 (2.0?) is going to be released soon, should I start using it directly to ensure minimal hustle to have it running when it gets released in March, or should I go with 1.1.6?

Oh, and by the way. It is really easy to register new bower packages. The bower repo is basically just a key value database with a rest-api, i.e. Name - Git repo. When registered in the database, Bower searches for new versions on the git repo when it is installed.

To register, just type:

bower register phaser_official https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser.git 

and it will be up and running for all to use. Just make sure to update bower.json to the correct version or bower will display an irritating error that the version does not equal the release. (Right now bower.json states 1.1.5)

/J

I'm unable to get any of the examples to run on http://phaser.io/examples/. They all error out with "Unable to load basics/01 - load an image.js" and the like. It appears that the http://phaser.io//src/ directory is not available, or not working.

Also, the top of the examples page shows Phaser Version: 1.1.6 but then also has a link to "New Verson: 1.1.6".

What are the known physics issues of Phaser 1.1.6?

I started to port one of my games on 1.1.6, and I have an issue: the player can jump only if he is moving right or left in a tilemap.

So I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's due to a Phaser bug. Thanks!

It's a weird bug and I would recommend not porting over to 1.1.6 in your specific case.

I managed to fix my bug by reducing the gravity of the player to 200 (250 won't work for example). Weird. But now the player is not falling fast enough...