HTML5 with competition for players (Questions)

kaminari

Hello everyone!

First of all, I will say sorry in advance just in case I do any dumb questions regarding the title of the topic.

So basically I would like to check with you if it's possible to create a competition on HTML5 game with the purpose to compensate for the performance of the gamer. Let me give you an example to make it more understandable.
Imagine that "Flappy bird - html5" will have some kind of score that is associated with each player and by the X time (day, week or month), the best player will get a prize.

Questions:

• How hard is to create that?
  • There's any way to avoid cheating? What could be the solution?

Thank you guys!

Hi, i'll add my 2 cents: I believe your idea exists already in multiple industries - not only gaming - for example: people in fitness get rewarded for running X kilometers. So based on that I am 100% sure it is possible to implement such a system to reward gamers but saying it is easy and doing it is probably very difficult taking into account the fact that there will always be those who try to abuse/hack the system to get rewards without putting in the work.

But also, ultimately, you would have to earn 2X in order to pay out 1X so that you have 1X profit left for the project. The question is how are you going to earn that 2X and if that 2X is a lower amount then the 1X divided by the number of players would result in a very tiny reward for players which will not motivate anyone.

So I would not say "give up", just you have to make sure before you start this project that you can generate a sizable profit out of which a certain percentage you would pay out to the gamers.

I hope that helps,
COSMOS
DolyGames

Thank you for your help!

As you said, there will be always people who will try to hack the system. Do you have any suggestion on how to prevent that? For example, I can include something on the terms and conditions that will say that any kind of hacking or abuse of the system won't be able to win the prize, but I was thinking more about on development side.

Maybe some kind of log registration while the customer is playing that will identify changes on the code? or abnormal points in such a short time? (maybe this is a dumb question. sorry)

Thank you!

I believe it would depend on what exactly you build. For example if you will have a live leaderboard showing the names and scores where the average score is let's say around 1000 points and some hacker manages to become #1 with 5000 points then this would already anger the players while it might take you 24 hours before you detect the problem and somehow fix it. And in that time players might get angry and leave.

But I think you would always manage to hire someone much more intelligent than myself to help you put a technical solution - I still think your biggest challenge would be to make sufficient profit to pay all your costs + pay all the players and still leave enough profit for the project.

Thank you guys. 

I looked at google and it seems very challenging, although I saw something that might be a "solution". How about something that will trigger the server side when the debugger is open for a very limit time, let's say 3 seconds?
Then, after that we detect this user is been changing the code, I'm almost sure we can create a "ban" based on user_id?

What you think guys?

Thank you!

PS: Sorry to be so persistent on this issue, but I'm sure I can challenge some of your brains :P  

2 hours ago, kaminari said:

How about something that will trigger the server side when the debugger is open for a very limit time, let's say 3 seconds?
Then, after that we detect this user is been changing the code, I'm almost sure we can create a "ban" based on user_id?

Why would the server get a signal for 'debugger open'? Only if the client cooperates.
The only somewhat viable option is 'a lot of interaction'.
So keep the line open, keep asking for things they may not know about...

In the end, it's a losing game. It just depends how much trouble it's worth. Even Microsoft and Apple get hacked...

Well, that was just an idea. 
I know that is impossible to avoid cheating, even on e-sports (on Lan) we found guys cheating, but I just want to get a way to make it harder for the cheaters. Then we can have the support from "terms & conditions", whereby any kind of cheating will be banned from the game. 

Because I would like to create some kind of competition where we attribute prizes based on the skill of the player. You might think, how I will get revenue to support the prizes, but that is another discussion. Right now, my only aim is to understand how to avoid cheating as much as possible. 

I'm very stubborn! :P 

If your players play through a browser there is nothing you can do to prevent cheating on a skill game with leaderboards because they always can figure out a way to send the perfect moves.

If you are looking at other competition games you may have solutions but it depends on your budget (in like how many bandwidth and server power you can afford) and still no absolute guarantee.