Fullscreen API on mobile

benny!

Hey all,

I am wondering what you guys think about the fullscreen support on mobile browsers? The support of this API in desktop versions of modern browsers seems to increase.

Wondering what you guys think about this topic ? 
Are you also waiting for this ? 
Do you currently use workarounds to simulate fullscreen (like adding 60px to the body content & window.scrollTo)
Maybe you have some insider information - when we can expect support of the FullScreenAPI in mobile browser (esp. iOS Safari)?

Best,
benny!

I'm waiting for this feature for a while :/

I think iOS support fullscreen since v5

for Chrome mobile the API is missing and there are many developers complains about that

it's really an important feature for HTML5 games.

wrapping HTML5 in a webview can help but again, on Android, the Webview that is used to wrap HTML5 application is not using Chrome mobile engine, it's using the old buggy webview :/

I've tried to implement it a few weeks ago for a new game. I abandoned because only Firefox seemed to support it, and it did not add much value.

I think it would be a great feature for mobile gaming though, allowing us to gain a few pixels :-)

Yes, I would also like to have it. Maybe also with setting a locked orientation.

Well, one year ago I was happy with the little window.scroll() effect to get rid of the addressbar. But it seems that it does not work on Chrome Mobile and on Firefox mobile.

So, I am really hoping for a consistent browser implementation of the fullscreen api.

iOS6 sort of supports it, but only in landscape mode and you still get the little icons in the corners - it's manually enabled too, not from the fullscreen API.

Chrome on Android will support it once they bring it inline with the desktop releases in March. But right now it's just a dream really :)

Though I'm not an iOS fan, I kinda like the way mobile Safari does it on landscape mode.

Yes, I would also like to have it. Maybe also with setting a locked orientation.

As a game developer, I would love to have locked orientation. As a user, I would hate that my browser makes me switch orientation without notice.

Though I'm not an iOS fan, I kinda like the way mobile Safari does it on landscape mode.

As a game developer, I would love to have locked orientation. As a user, I would hate that my browser makes me switch orientation without notice.

No-one cares when an app does it. and most games only work in 1 orientation anyway and show a 'please turn your phone around' screen otherwise, so we're enforcing users to do it anyway really. It's just not very elegant.