The PIxi.js Roadmap

Mat Groves

Hey peeps!

Thought this would be a good place to show the Pixi.js roadmap. It should give you an idea of where we plan on taking pixi.js.. 

• Create a Typescript definition file for Pixi.js
  • Implement Custom Render Item (currently being worked on by @GoodBoyDigital)
  • Implement Masking
  • Implement Primative Drawing
  • Implement Filters (currently being worked on by @GoodBoyDigital)
  • Add Spine support
  • Implement Flash animation to pixi
  • Update Loader so that it support XHR2 if it is available
  • Improve the Documentation of the Project
  • Create an Asset Loader Tutorial
  • Create a MovieClip Tutorial
  • Create a small game Tutorial

If anyone has any more feature requests that dont fall into the list above then we are keen to hear them! Also If anyone wants to help out with anything in the list then by all means feel free to get in touch.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I think the more time spent on actual "rendering engine" features, and less time on general features (like the loader, typescript definitions, etc) the better. I don't even use the loader in PIXI because there are a lot more types of things that my game engine loads than what PIXI supports.

The biggest benefits of PIXI are that it is *fast* and *small*. Everything else that isn't rendering-related is just extra to me, and usually I don't even use. Filters, Primatives, Masks, and Cameras are examples of things that I think are important for what PIXI is really good for.

P.S. I don't see cameras on the list, is that something we will still be doing on our own (which is fine, but multiple cameras in PIXI right now are pretty heavy...)

Okay, you guys are great. I have the feeling you're really listening to your community. Me and my devbuddy are especially looking forward to primitive drawing, custom render items and Spine support.

Good job guys!

I agree with rolnaaba, more focus directly on the rendering engine related features. All the other stuff is awesome though :-D But id say the number one thing I would absolutely love would be creating a Pixi plugin for Phaser! So instead of using Canvas Phaser would just use Pixi for all the rendering. A lot of the extra features you are naming Phaser does or will most likely do. 

Either way though, LOVE what your doing and keep up all the awesome work!

The big thing for me is keeping it/ making it compatible with ejecta and cocoon (for ios and android respectively) .. is there any intention of making it compatible. i notice that someone on the forum has an impact/pixi and a pixi/ejecta but they break on updates .... wil this ever change?

I second ipop's request for cocoon support, having to recode my game without pixi.js at the moment and it makes me realise how good pixi.js!! Would be awesome to build stuff with pixi and have it work with cocoon.

The big thing for me is keeping it/ making it compatible with ejecta and cocoon (for ios and android respectively) .. is there any intention of making it compatible. i notice that someone on the forum has an impact/pixi and a pixi/ejecta but they break on updates .... wil this ever change?

Good call! I will look to make the latest builds compatible with ejecta and cocoon.js for sure. Il add it to my todo list.