[TechDemo] CrossCode - Throwing energy balls at everything!

Lachsen

Hey there,

We did rewrite a large amount of code. collision engine, some rendering parts, sound playback and so on. We did not release any code. However we do create technical posts about some aspects of the game. You can find them on our webpage here.

Also, if you want to know something about how we did a certain aspect of the game, you're free to ask :)

We can't wait too :D

So yeah, we got another weekly. Since we are working on different ends, we thought to change it up a little, telling who is doing what exactly. We planned our "Magic Consuption System" and if you read the blog post there is actually a question we have:

What kind of “special skill/magic cost system” do you like?

Something more classical like Final fantasy? Or a more modern system like Kingdom Hearts uses (low amount of MP or cooldown)?

Link: I know you want to click it!

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect game play and graphics. I don't have nothing more to say that others not said yet. But i wouldn't could leave to show my appreciation. Congratulations.

I'm just stuck on the extra challenge now...

Only for curiosity.. Why do you choose html5 for this project? Which plataforms do you will launch the game?

@Reborned Thanks for the feedback!

As for why we use HTML5 for this project:

Quite frankly... it's not because of the cross platform capabilities of HTML5. Those are still fairly limited at this point with respect to performance.

We started working with HTML5, because we simply like the technology. Well...  at the beginning that was mostly me, actually.

I worked for several years with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and all kind of Web technologies and became a huge fan.

On top of that, I did a lot of game development. I also worked with C/C++ at times, so I know, at least roughly. how "professional game development" looks like - and it is very tedious.

So once I realized that HTML5 was becoming efficient enough to support games, I immediately knew that this is the platform I want to work with.

And it turned out it's simply awesome! 

Working with JavaScript, having literally no compile times, one of the best debugging frameworks I have experiences so far and a technology that works just as well for the game engine as well as the level editor (allowing lots of code sharing between the two)... As a developer I don't think I was ever so enthusiastic about a technology.

I think by now most technical people in our team are convinced that creating games with HTML5 is pretty awesome. 

As to what platforms we want to support:

We will certainly support desktop/laptop devices with mouse/keyboard or gamepad. You will be able to play the game online in any modern browser. On top of that, we'll try to create offline applications to run the game without any internet connection (and also to have the option to release the game on steam).

In addition, since Nintendo now released the Nintendo Web Framework, we hope to get the game to run on the Wii U as well.

As for mobile devices: For a long time we were planning to release the game on mobile devices as well. However, over the time we realized, that the game's input mechanism are (or rather will be) too complicated to work well with a touch screen. That's why we probably won't support mobile devices. We might create an adapted version of the game that works well with touch displays... some time in the future. But that is not our priority.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice indeed. I kept reminiscing back to both FF7 and FF8. So refreshing to have that kind of setting but have instant action feedback compared to the old turn based way.

The music was awesome and the whole design fit together very nicely.

Some criticism/info:

Info first - I tried it on desktop with both gamepad and mouse/keys. Gotta say it feels best playing with mouse/keys although a console player might tell a different tale I suppose. Great work on the tutorial bit switching info when you go back/forth between gamepad and keyboard input.

I then tried it on my Nexus 7 pad first gen, chose low res. I suppose it's not made to run on that but it works but I'm getting like 10-20 FPS so it feels quite unplayable.

Audio critique: the sound when you hit stuff has a bit of an annoying stereo separation to it. I'd change that.

So yeah, that's all my critique, so you should be aware that this is quite awesome :)