Top-down 2D racing game mechanics

Alvaro Cavaclanti

Hey Guys,

My goal is to create a top-down 2d racing game (if the title didn't give it away). I've done a bit of Googling for examples of this mechanic, but haven't found any (yet). On the other hand I've found a lot of "spaceship" mechanics and have been tinkering with it, but couldn't get where I wanted.

My intention is to have a minimalist racing mechanic, acceleration/velocity, braking and drag. Oh, and steering. That's the problem, actually.

I have used both "velocity/accelerationFromRotation" and modifying the acceleration with Math.cos/sin on rotation.

I feel like the issue may be related to reducing the velocity/acceleration while steering (turning left/right), but that didn't work quite well, also.

Finally, I'm not asking for dumb copy/paste code per se (but as this may be very basic, I would not dismiss it), instead I would like to know more about the theory, and then try to code it myself.

p.s.: If everything goes well I'll write a tutorial and share it. :)

I've been working on a p2.js game based on this great tutorial: http://www.iforce2d.net/b2dtut/top-down-car it walks you through an approach to steering by applying directional forces to your cars wheels. (Hopefully I will actually find time to finish the damn game one day...)

Nice, Alex! I'll go through it and see what I can make use. I wasn't thinking on using such elaborated physics (separated tires) but that will certainly help.

If anybody has more tips, don't be shy. :)

Hey! Bingo! This might help, funnily enough I was looking at how to shoot a cannon ball in physics and found this:

http://codetheory.in/html5-canvas-and-friction/

He ( Rishab ) has a great website - well explained and examples you can run right there on the page.

Well - fancy this! He uses a nice race car physics example on the above page!

he also has a solution for a scrolling background ....   http://codetheory.in/moving-scrolling-sliding-background-in-html5-canvas/

I'll be watching this site. It's fantastic. (you could always use a simple image rotation for tyres and bind it to key codes).

Good luck - I'll go back and see if I can get a cannon ball to arc