Are the pastures still green?

Deino

Hello,

I am an electronics student currently learning game development along with my artist friend. I have been leaning Phaser. I want to know the current situation in HTML5 game scene. I know the old days of gold-rush are over. I want to know if HTML5 game development still remains the low-risk comparatively higher return 'genre' as it used to be? Are sponsors paying on time or do they take months like some horror stories claim, even if the quality is optimum? How is the contract market and how to find contract works?

You're 1.5 years too late for the "low risk" phase. 

Right now you have to make a significant effort to set yourself apart from the knuckleheads that sell non-exclusive licenses for 15 bucks a pop.

As to contract work: that looks better, depending on the specific target market but..

and how to find contract works?

... that is something you have to be able to answer for yourself, if you want to be successful there. If you can't, and try to hire out via the common freelancer portals, then there's no money either, because those gigs typically awarded via sites like Elance or whatever only pay peanuts. In my experience an existing "offline" clientele is what brings viable money, everything that's awarded via bidding portals etc. only makes sense if you operate in a 3rd world country with super low expenses.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right now, its not a consolidated market.

However, the golden rush of html5 is really near : Google killed Unity3d webplugin and i bet that its a matter of time until it will kill Flash.  Killing Flash will create a really BIG golden rush of html5.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, its not a consolidated market.

However, the golden rush of html5 is really near : Google killed Unity3d webplugin and i bet that its a matter of time until it will kill Flash.  Killing Flash will create a really BIG golden rush of html5.

I don' think google will kill flash any time soon because flash is PPAPI plugin.

There won't be another HTML5 golden age until WebGL is standard on mobile and desktop devices. Which may never happen.

Actually, canvas is more than enough for portal games. Real problem is inconsistency of html5 technologies support (fullscreen api for instance which works almost nowhere). I dont think gold rush is possible until all those problems are solved.

And first gold rush (which i missed :( ) was caused by unawareness of current situation of portal holders .