Starting HTML5 Game Development

Zio

Hello everyone,

I am not new to programming, but I am new to HTML5 game development. I was wondering if Phaser is a good place to start with making HTML5 games.

I have seen that some people just use no framework starting out, but I didn't know if that was a good idea. Some people have also suggested using programs such as GameMaker or Construct2. 

I am just looking for some thoughts on this and appreciate any opinions given.

Thank you all,

Zio

It might be a good idea to first make one or two really small HTML5 games without a framework.

That's just so that you can learn about the fundamental technologies that you'll be building on.

But once you start to feel comfortable, look for a game engine.

Any game of even moderate complexity is going to require some kind of framework, even if it's one that you build yourself.

Thats because there are a lot of repetitive tasks in game development that an engine will automate for you.

It's impossible to really say which HTML5 game engine is best, you just have to find one that most closely matches your development style.

I personally started my development with no engine like the previous poster stated you should.. once I had a good foundation and figured out what methods work best for me I took some time to learn phaser, seems like a good method, there are TONS of examples on how to do things from very small to very large with phaser!

I think it depends on what you want: do you want to make a game, or do you want to make a game engine? If you want to make a game, use Phaser. If you have a problem that isn't covered by the docs you can dig into its easy-to-read source code to find out what's going on. Along the way, it'll teach you basic concepts of gamedev that you can use no matter what you make your game with in the future (Game Maker, Construct, cocos2d, whatever). Like, ever wondered how to implement the separating axis theory? Phaser's got it! That kind of thing.

Phaser's a great place to start since it's open source and the creators are active members of the forums to help explain anything you don't understand or that might not work.

I agree with drhayes. It really depends on what your goal is. If you just want to make games, you might as well just dive right into Phaser so you can get up and running and make something cool. I'm sure making your own engine is a great learning experience, but it's not at all a prerequisite.