Apple OS 7 Update - be aware! :)

Alexander Krug

Hi there,

since the OS update from Apple last week, we see huge issues poppping up in existing games e.g.  full screen doesnt work anymore (URL bar + navigation bar is visible) or the games are not working at all anymore. I really doubt with the update if Apple is still interested in HTML5 support... I cant understand them anymore.

I'm just posting this issue to make you aware about this issues and that you're going to test your game on OS7 as well.

If you know how to solve this 100% scaling issue (disable view of URL bar), please let me know :)

Alexander

Actually, it might be good thread to discuss possible assumptions we have to make from publisher's point of view for now (assuming that no reliable full-screen hack is available on iOS7.0).

My approach:

- Make portrait games 

- Assume games are fitting into normal browsing area (no fullscreen).

- As a stretch goal, make sure non-game-play elements (such as background) will cover entire full-screen area (if supported, for example, if running on latest Android Chrome).

Honestly I'm not sure if Apple is really aware of this problem. I hope they will change this soon, to make some workaround possible again. Let us push them somehow - any ideas? ;)

Our all goal should be to provide a native like gaming experience. I'm not too deep into this topic technically, but sbat's approach sounds good. Anything what's possible to hide the URL bar and to enable users to play in "full screen" is highly welcome. I know that it's even impossible to hide the URL bar on some Android devices, but we accepted them. The issues we saw so far is that games are even not playable anymore as the available screen is too small.

Just a short update on this topic. We actually received a game where the URL bar is NOT displayed on OS7. I asked the developer what he did and he told me the following:

"In all my games I integrated Zynga's excellent 'viewporter' lib - https://github.com/zynga/viewporter with some modified viweport tags.  I'm not sure if the construct/gamemaker people would be able to add it to their games but I'd certainly recommend it to those who code in javascript or typescript."

Hope it helps and happy to get updates :)

The game Alexander is referring to is: http://happylandergames.com/games/nutrush/

I don't have an iOS7 device on me at the mo - but I had tested my previous games (that use the same viewport code) and it didn't appear to fix the iOS7 issue so would be surprised if this game is doing anything different to be honest

maybe it just worked on this occasion because of an orientation anomaly or something? - would be useful to get feedback from others anyway

if it is magically working then I expect to be reverred as some kind of HTML5 God, with epic songs written about my manly prowess handed down from generation to generation