Construct2 vs. GameMaker. Which one works better for Mobiles?

adiian

I'd like to know if someone knows how well each of them is working on mobiles. I have some experience using Construct 2 and I find it really, really nice for development. Until now, I was not very involved in using html5 on mobiles/tablets and recently I just made a few tests with Construct2 on a few devices. I found it quite slow for just moving a few sprites on the screen.

I'm just curious if someone can tell if this should be the expected behavior on mobiles for html5 or just construct2 is a little bit slow? Did anyone test both Game Maker and Construct 2 to make a comparison from the performance point of view on mobiles?

Which devices did you use for testing? Certain OS version are better at handling HTML5 than others. I have never used Construct 2 for mobile HTML5, but I have used GameMaker. Most GameMaker games run slowly on older OS versions, but some games do work fine. If you are going for a mobile approach, I would suggest not making high action games and being conscious of how much is going on in your game (memory usage, objects, etc).

I have to say I'm familiar to some degree with both Construct2 and Game Maker. I think both of them are great tools for developing quick games and prototypes. I tested 2 game prototypes built with Construct 2 on several devices, including some quad-core android devices and ios devices. The lowest perfomance-wise I tested on, is iPhone4 updated to ios7 and I was quite surprised to see that just moving 2-3 sprites is a little fragmented. I'm not sure if there is a problem on the specific phone I tested.

What I also noticed regarding Contruct2, the fragmentation tends not to be continuous(low fps), it just happens from a few frames to a few frames(like some sort of interruption).

I don't have a licence for game maker Html5 export tool, so this is why I'd like to know as many opinions as possible, especially from someone who tested both of them.

Check out these articles if you like using Construct2:

https://www.scirra.com/blog/85/the-great-html5-mobile-gaming-performance-comparison

https://www.scirra.com/blog/107/boosting-mobile-html5-game-performance-with-webgl

My suggestion would be to find a list of games made using Construct2 and GM:S, and then try them on your devices.

Making mobile HTML5 games is a beast of its own. Taking a Construct2 game that was designed for desktop and "just like that" export it for mobile won't give you good results. You have to be aware of a lot of stuff that causes performance loss, high memory consumption etc. 

My suggestion would be to find a list of games made using Construct2 and GM:S, and then try them on your devices.

That would be my advice too. Get ahold of the top 5 games from each toolkit, play them on your devices and eyeball for yourself.

I could find a bunch of html5 games made in game maker by some people active on this forum and they work smooth enough. I couldn't find many Construct 2 games built for mobiles. However my search is not complete.

Regarding the scirra tests, I've seen them before. I didn't rely too much on them, first of all because they might be a little biased since scirra sells Construct. Second of all it emphasizes the webGL performance which as I know is not something reliable on mobiles, especially on old ones(the place where you really need it) and third of all because I read the test without webGL was done at a time when game maker HTML5 exporter was beta.