does anyone agree? the object model needs real work.

stevefromio

For example lets look at tilemap. It is a mess. It should be:

map = new TileMap();

tile = map.layer('treeLayer').getTile(1,4);

tile.remove or delete, or swap, or something else.

also ... this.game.antialias = false SHOULD TURN OFFFF all antialias features for everything if called at this level.

what do you guys think about the domain model?

You should issue pull requests on Github.

Please don't. These are subjective opinions, not bugs or issues. There is absolutely zero benefit of doing:

tile = map.layer('treeLayer').getTile(1,4);

All this does is introduce an additional pointless method call (getting the layer) and make your code even more verbose than the current:

map.getTile(1, 4)

So there's no chance I would ever merge such a pull request.

Rich,

Other than the fact that this forum has ten million basic requests for help on things that should be obvious. One of the things I notice about these frameworks is how long and almost senseless it is in learning something that takes so long to learn, it was probably better to just have built it yourself.

But yes, this is your library, available for free which some people love. I would never interfere with that, even if that is the concept of open-source. :-)

I'd have said that the concept of open source is that you are free to fork It and develop under a different model if you so choose and that is totally possible for anybody to follow with Phaser. Personally I prefer there to be a decisive driver of the software so that progress doesn't stall under a weight of debate.

I can only speak for myself but there' s no way that learning to write a framework would have been quicker than learning to use one.

I would never fork a project. It just not fair to the developer (Rich).

I thought the same thing myself, but it is not that hard, especially if you coming from a graphic engine like PIXI.

The purpose of this discussion was how people felt about the ease and logic of this framework. Clearly this is not the place to discuss it.

Thanks for responding though.

I'd have said that the concept of open source is that you are free to fork It and develop under a different model if you so choose and that is totally possible for anybody to follow with Phaser. Personally I prefer there to be a decisive driver of the software so that progress doesn't stall under a weight of debate.

I can only speak for myself but there' s no way that learning to write a framework would have been quicker than learning to use one.

I think you're not being fair nor objective with Phaser. I was a backend developer with no frontend knowledge and I could do awesome things in no time with Phaser. It's an amazing tool : maybe not perfect yet, but great nonetheless.

I think there are two different things here:

1) I wouldn't merge a pull request for a subjective change, unless it was clearly a better way of doing something, as it would impact the whole framework. However..

2) Forking the project and changing it for your own needs is what open source is all about, and I wish more people would do it! If you don't like the way you get tiles from a tilemap, fork it and rewrite it. As long as it stays in your own fork you can do whatever the heck you like with my blessing.

I agree about forking, if you do this you prove that you actually thought your idea was a good one (besides just an idea), and if it works better rich could see its benefits.

Also regarding this forum, forums have always been a place where questions about the same things are asked over and over. That with a little bit of documentation reading could of solved the whole issue, but its goal is that through all the clutter some good constructive questions are asked and answered that others can find when having similar issues. I think this is just the reality of the world in which we live.

Rich,

Other than the fact that this forum has ten million basic requests for help on things that should be obvious. One of the things I notice about these frameworks is how long and almost senseless it is in learning something that takes so long to learn, it was probably better to just have built it yourself.

But yes, this is your library, available for free which some people love. I would never interfere with that, even if that is the concept of open-source. :-)

I'm an illustrator who also enjoys coding and Phaser must be the first engine I use where I think of a feature and hours later I have it working. It's the most frustration-free experience I've had so far. Everything has sane defaults to get you started easily and is easy to tweak once you learn how. 

The reason there are so may requests for help on things that should be obvious is because there are many people here who've probably never coded before, or who are new to gamedev, or who are new to reading the docs and thinking for 5 minutes about a problem before posting on a forum. 

It took me only a few minutes of reading two pages from the docs and some examples to understand how tilemaps work in phaser. If I were to build one myself I'm sure it would take me longer than that.