[WIP] Dodge the Swarm

dioxbow

Hi all,

This is the first game that I've made by myself in HTML5, although I'm not that new to programming in general. It's name is pretty self-explanatory. You use the arrow keys or WASD to move about, and you click on the screen to shoot in that direction. Enemies spawn randomly outside the screen at an ever-increasing rate, and if even one of them touches you, you die. Luckily for you, they don't come straight at you. Instead, they essentially follow a delayed (and invisible) version of you. This makes it possible to slip between their ranks, as becomes necessarily as you progress farther into the game.

Play the game here: http://git.io/swarm

I made the game in pure HTML5 (Javascript), and it took me a decent chunk of a day. I spent a couple more hours spread out over the next few days on record storage, nicer menus, and of course, bug fixes. If you want to see the code, you can check out its GitHub repo here. The graphics are really basic, since I didn't want to spend time making sprites, but I actually kind of like its retro aesthetic. I tested out a couple of new features, but in the end they made the game less fun. If you have any suggestions or critiques for this game or for future games, I'd love to hear them.

Screenshots

post-15872-0-80064100-1439341086.png

post-15872-0-83306800-1439341084.png

post-15872-0-11754900-1439341087.png

post-15872-0-28600000-1439341086.png

Thanks for the feedback! It wasn't directly inspired by Tilt to Live, although it's pretty similar. I guess with such a simple game mechanic it's bound to have been done many times before. I know it's pretty basic, but I didn't want to take on an overly ambitious project right away. Maybe I'll work on mobile interaction if I decide to pursue this idea further.