assets in babylonjs

Vivek Agrawal

Hi, 

You can see in the Github project all assets used for the retail scene: https://github.com/BabylonJS/Samples/tree/master/Scenes/Retail

Generally, diffuse, specular, bump/normal textures are used to create nice baked light effects.

oh, the retail.babylon is the main file containing the scene? how to export such file? is it exported from Unity?

A babylon file contains a whole scene: all game objects, collisions, and more.

This babylon file can be exported from Blender, Unity or 3DSMax (see here).

A good tutorial can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2013/06/28/babylon-js-how-to-load-a-babylon-file-produced-with-blender.aspx

A good tutorial can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2013/06/28/babylon-js-how-to-load-a-babylon-file-produced-with-blender.aspx

great, that was very helping, so in to summarize you create scene, objects etc everything in unity or blender or 3dsmax etc, and then export to babylon file and then use that with babylon framework to do further js coding of working of the game.

Does anyone have any plans to support import and export between Babylon.JS and Maya?  This would certainly expand the user base quite a bit, as it has been the barrier that I've run into recently in choosing BJS as the WebGL language and environment on many projects - as most higher end shops use Maya - primarily.

The user base for Maya is quite wide, and in may cases, the only tools used in most film and VisFX feature work these days.  It would certainly help me to convice many houses I work with (such as Weta) to impliment and build projects using babylon.  Richard Taylor, Pete Jackson, and several animators from Weta Digital and I had this conversation just several weeks ago.  And as they are direct partners in Magic Leap display technology, I would like to support Magic Leap directly using Babylon.js.  Weta in NZ is the only content creation partner currently working on active content, And whatever they choose will most likely remain the standard as the hardware is from a seperate partner (Quallcom) as well as Nvidea which will run the Android OS natively using a version of Chrome - as Google invested 642 million dollars directly into Magic Leap once they saw the very FIRST demo.  It really is that game changing display technology, and will affect all areas of life and interativity.  

However, adopting or even considering babylon.js will never happen unless there exists an importer/exporter written for BJS supporting Maya.  I know this from speaking directly with the individuals such as Seamous Blackley who co-developed (invented) Direct X and the XBox, and it is completely in their (his) power to choose the framework, software, and tools for the Magic Leap hardware.  Otherwise, they are experimenting with Three.js and other frameworks since they have built I/E tools for Three.js already - and are also looking at their own frameworks potentially; since they have approx. 2 billion in funding now - and didn't have to give up the company to aquire these mythological investments.  They will choose a single format and WebGL standard to work with, and this decision is to be made and solidified by 1st quarter 2016 - as things appear to be progressing currently.

Thanks,

DB

David, I've often wondered about Maya too.

My experience on the Unity forums suggested a lot of Maya users - more even than 3DMax. But that of course is a very subjective opinion.

I don't have the money for either of those packages - which is why I use Blender of course ;)

cheers, gryff :)

btw guys if you dont mind me asking what benefit would Babylonjs have over Unity, as in exporting from unity then coding in babylongjs

Unity exports scene for WebGL but is not very good. Babylon have made it an export for unity for creates scenes to WebGL good/better. This is in my opinion purely to make known BabylonJS

why do people go for babylonjs

to create games on the browser. And because Babylon is a great engine specialize 3d "Games"

Hi,

so a babylon file is just one scene containing all of its objects, it doesnt and cant contain scripts attachments right? what about rigidbody etc?

also please if you have can you share any tutorial that is for Unity to Babylon

Thanks

What do you mean by "script attachements"?  Also, when referring to rigid bodies, are you referring to what we considerthese to be in character animation - which is rigid elements driven by bone hierarchies as opposed to deformations on the elements in a character mesh?  If so, this is done the same way as in most all animation software - which is to parent the elements of a character to the associated joints/bones, and not weight the mesh elements other than 100% to each associated joint/bone.

As for babylon.js, I use this as my primary development framework for many reasons.  I have been using Unity for a LONG time, as well as beginning with the alpha and beta versions of UE4 at least 2 years before it was released.  So I have my choice of development software and frameworks - as many people do.  As mentioned, I and my company have chosen babylon.js for many reasons, so I'll try and list the key reasons as this could be a long post.

The applications we build now work in practically every OS and browser, and on every mobile device sold in the last 2 years.  Prior to this, we had to spend and allocate considerably more resources to choose just a couple of devices and possibly 2 operating systems to produce and support apps.  And the support is a huge issue as well - since we haven't had to update any of our apps since release, as HTML 5 and WebGL as a framework maintains compatability for us.

We also have built our own node server, which provides us with unlimited support for multi-user functions in real-time for websockets as well as peer to peer communication based upon proximity for speeds we couldn't ever reach on existing brand servers - which allows us to build apps such as multi-user real-time audio recording, and playing music together with multiple users from remote locations for each user.

We began using Three.js, but although it has most functions we might ever need, it lacked the functions of a game engine such as ease of use for controllers and cameras - which is why you'll find very few first person shooters written in Three.js.  Also, since we built our own server we can stream elements and media using babylon.js which lowers our required bandwidth, and allows us to change selective media during streaming providing us with what appears to the user to be vast environments with low overhead.

With UE4 and Unity, the list of incompatible elements seem to go on and on forever - until we simply scale back - or we end up dropping support for some devices.  Compatability might very well be the biggest argument in favor of babylon.js, as our Q & A process is a fraction of what it was previously in producing games and apps.  And changes and updates require a fraction of the time and resources we used to spend in gaming specific environments.  

And then there's the overhead of the rendering engine for all gaming frameworks.  Download bandwidth, required RAM, server and user time, as well as limitations in the delivery sequence.  Also, I'd recommend taking a look at Intel XDK.  It has much of the functionality of Cocoon to package your game or app, and a ton of tools to assists and streamline development in HTML and Javascript.

Cheers,

DB

What do you mean by "script attachements"?  Also, when referring to rigid bodies, are you referring to what we considerthese to be in character animation - which is rigid elements driven by bone hierarchies as opposed to deformations on the elements in a character mesh?  If so, this is done the same way as in most all animation software - which is to parent the elements of a character to the associated joints/bones, and not weight the mesh elements other than 100% to each associated joint/bone.

As for babylon.js, I use this as my primary development framework for many reasons.  I have been using Unity for a LONG time, as well as beginning with the alpha and beta versions of UE4 at least 2 years before it was released.  So I have my choice of development software and frameworks - as many people do.  As mentioned, I and my company have chosen babylon.js for many reasons, so I'll try and list the key reasons as this could be a long post.

The applications we build now work in practically every OS and browser, and on every mobile device sold in the last 2 years.  Prior to this, we had to spend and allocate considerably more resources to choose just a couple of devices and possibly 2 operating systems to produce and support apps.  And the support is a huge issue as well - since we haven't had to update any of our apps since release, as HTML 5 and WebGL as a framework maintains compatability for us.

We also have built our own node server, which provides us with unlimited support for multi-user functions in real-time for websockets as well as peer to peer communication based upon proximity for speeds we couldn't ever reach on existing brand servers - which allows us to build apps such as multi-user real-time audio recording, and playing music together with multiple users from remote locations for each user.

We began using Three.js, but although it has most functions we might ever need, it lacked the functions of a game engine such as ease of use for controllers and cameras - which is why you'll find very few first person shooters written in Three.js.  Also, since we built our own server we can stream elements and media using babylon.js which lowers our required bandwidth, and allows us to change selective media during streaming providing us with what appears to the user to be vast environments with low overhead.

With UE4 and Unity, the list of incompatible elements seem to go on and on forever - until we simply scale back - or we end up dropping support for some devices.  Compatability might very well be the biggest argument in favor of babylon.js, as our Q & A process is a fraction of what it was previously in producing games and apps.  And changes and updates require a fraction of the time and resources we used to spend in gaming specific environments.  

And then there's the overhead of the rendering engine for all gaming frameworks.  Download bandwidth, required RAM, server and user time, as well as limitations in the delivery sequence.  Also, I'd recommend taking a look at Intel XDK.  It has much of the functionality of Cocoon to package your game or app, and a ton of tools to assists and streamline development in HTML and Javascript.

Cheers,

DB

that was very helpful, our illustration team is using unity to model the 3d graphics, may i know if the exporter of babylon is in a good enough stage, or will this become a wrong choice and they should try some other 3d modelling tool

hmm not sure why but copying the plugin folder to asset folder doesnt give me the babylon option, i am copying the unity3d2babylon folder inside a plugins folder in the assets folder

if this helps i get this error

Unhandled Exception: Mono.CSharp.InternalErrorException: Assets/Plugins/Unity3D2Babylon/SceneBuilder.Animations.cs(12,19): Unity3D2Babylon.SceneBuilder ---> Mono.CSharp.InternalErrorException: Assets/Plugins/Unity3D2Babylon/SceneBuilder.cs(18,54): Unity3D2Babylon.SceneBuilder.materialsDictionary ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

File name: 'System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.MonoCustomAttrs:GetCustomAttributesInternal (System.Reflection.ICustomAttributeProvider,System.Type,bool)

at System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

• 7 months later...
On 8/24/2015 at 10:17 AM, Deltakosh said:

just try to create a game with unity5 and export it for the web and you will understand why :)

On 8/23/2015 at 2:24 PM, Dad72 said:

Unity exports scene for WebGL but is not very good. Babylon have made it an export for unity for creates scenes to WebGL good/better. This is in my opinion purely to make known BabylonJS

to create games on the browser. And because Babylon is a great engine specialize 3d "Games"

Also, Unity 3D system requirements are for Windows or Mac. No support for linux. Which for me is beyond a dealbreaker

BOOOOOOOooooooooo