Do I own the translated versions?

-AAG-

While dealing with sponsors sometimes you have to localize your game and you get to pile up quiet a few versions of the same game in other languages. Maybe my question is stupid but I just want to make sure if, after the deal is done and the license is sold, do I own this translated versions of my games?

I would like to add them to my portfolio (not as separate games of course).

I never even considered this an issue - I add all translations to the 'default' version of my games with a language choice at the start

any further licenses I sell will then have all available translations (unless they want it locked to a specific language) eg. http://happylandergames.com/games/nutrush/

I think the question is more about it being legal when sponsors do the translations for you, not if it is technically possible.

I'd be very interested to know that too ;)

Sorry, I should have clarified, when I said 'I never even considered this an issue' - I meant it from a legal point of view not technical!

Assuming they supplied the translation as a requirement for accepting the game and you implemented the changes yourself - then personally I would say you are good to go and do not need to ask permission

That's what I thought. It will be a while until I take the time to organize everything, remove their logos and stuff but I will add them to my portfolio eventually. I think is a good plus to have a couple languages available. I sure can let them know before hand too.

Thanks for the answers!

from a strictly legal point, the owner of the translation is the one who made it or who bought the rights to use/sell/resell/licence it. So if they supply the translation for you to use in a game you made but they want to licence to you, you have no right to use/sell/resell/licence the translation to other clients unless they told you you can. It's common sense, if they supply graphics (logo, custom items) or music or whatever, you cannot use/sell/resell/licence to other clients unless you have a (preferably written) agreement so you better ask them before landing in the copyright/ip infrigement land. You have to think that they may not have full rights to the translation or whatever thing they want you to put in the game. What i just write may sound overkill for a few translated common video games words but it gives a general view. The basic rule to understand is : you can't use anything unless you made it or got a licence to use it.

that's an interesting positon to take Totor, I agree with your points on the use of supplied graphical assets - but not when referring to a list of translated words in a spreadsheet/document that were originally written by the game developer

as a 'strictly legal point' what law/laws are you basing this on and in which country?

@mentuat, for a list of words, as i stated, it's overkill and you probably can find on the internet or a dictionary the good words even if it's safer with a pro to avoid "all your base are belong to us" things. when you have lines, sentences, or more text the translation may be considered as a derivative work and the original author owns the right to the original text but not to the translations. It's safer (and more courteous) to be clear on what you can do or not. That was said to me by a lawyer and a translator in France but they worked with europa, u.s, u.k and canada too. Details may vary (they will) with country depending on what kind of text (technical or literary), etc.

The safest position is to write the agreement with the client as always.

@AAG, the price per translation depends on the size, type and difficulty of the text + your expertise and your availabilities, the price of the market was around $0.30 per words. You can charge per hours too.

@mentuat, for a list of words, as i stated, it's overkill and you probably can find on the internet or a dictionary the good words even if it's safer with a pro to avoid "all your base are belong to us" things. when you have lines, sentences, or more text the translation may be considered as a derivative work and the original author owns the right to the original text but not to the translations. It's safer (and more courteous) to be clear on what you can do or not. That was said to me by a lawyer and a translator in France but they worked with europa, u.s, u.k and canada too. Details may vary (they will) with country depending on what kind of text (technical or literary), etc.

The safest position is to write the agreement with the client as always.

thanks for your response!