HTML5 Canvas/animationframe stuttering on firefox

ifritgames

Hello all!

One of my colleagues pointed out a flaw in the latest game of ours - http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/17543-html5-ladybirds/ :

When you run the game with firefox, in around every 10 seconds there is a small but noticeable lagspike. I have checked the performance of the animation frames in firefox, and besides the hectic GC behavior, I found huge gaps between browser triggered animation frames:

firefox_lag.png

Look at the picture I have included, the part in the red circle is where you experience the framerate drop, and the red arrrow shows the huge gap, while the browser doesnt fire animframes.

This doesnt happen in chrome and animation frame processing time is well below 16ms. The game runs with a single requestanimframe loop where update and draw functionalities are bundled together. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

kinda difficult to say.

Did you check bug reports if there is anything similar to your behaviour?

Otherwise, did you run profiler on the same computer? Try different machines and different FF versions as well (downgrade to older version even if you need to go back with a large step). Does the same behvaiour occur on older FF and different machines?

Does the same behaviour happen with any other game on the same machine and the same browser after you tried your problematic game?

So ... it seems that I have asked such a difficult question what no one can answer, 

It's just something in Firefox... impossible to tell what  :)

Usually when something browser-specifici like this happens to me during testing I just wait for the next browser version update and it goes away.