Need an update on HTML5 development.

Fricken Hamster

Hey, guys. I didn't know where else to post this. Long story short, I've been developing in flash, but a sponsor would pay more for a HTML5 version so I'm taking the opportunity to do the entire process of HTML5 development. I've dabbled in it a bit before, and I know a lot of the technical details, but I'd like an update on general practices. I'd google it, but because HTML5 support is constantly changing, I'd like to get up to date information.

What are the advantages of using a game framework? I probably won't be using one for my current game because it is really simple, however I'd like to know a bit about them. My first impressions are that they aren't really needed and only make JS more inclined towards game development. I'd prefer to program all my engines myself.

Is sound still messed up? I remember a lot of people saying that HTML5 support for sound is broken, so most people forgo having sound in their games.

Thanks

Here are a few advantages of using a framework off the top of my head (disclaimer: I make this one http://phaser.io)

With HTML5 games it's not just about the game engine. There is the whole platform to consider as well. Flash did a good job of abstracting that away from you, but you need to consider all angles when developing directly on the web. For example best practises re: screen scaling, touch/mouse latency issues, webgl/canvas/dom choices, asset loading and management, object caches, viewport management, audio handling, mobile support, texture atlas loading/parsing/support, full screen switching, visibility handling, etc.

You've got all this almost boilerplate level stuff before you even get as far as touching the game itself. Getting all of that right is probably the biggest chunk of time imho, not the game side of it really. A decent framework will remove the pain of all this for you, or at least minimise it as best as possible. Once you've got the platform level things set-up then you can get on to Sprites, groups, map handling, etc.

Sound is fine now - across iOS and most modern desktop browsers we've got web audio support which is easily Flash level (and above) quality audio control. You may have to support legacy audio too (depends how fussy your sponsor is), which is a lot more effort, but again a decent framework should handle this and swap between the two methods dynamically.

I understand and appreciate the desire to avoid a framework, and you'll learn an awful lot about web browser idiosyncrasies if you skip them! Providing you've got the time (and interest?) to do so. I would say that in Phaser for example around 90% of it is focused on all the boilerplate core stuff, and only 10% on actual game specific features. I guess a good comparison for you would be that this 90% is like the equivalent of Flash Player itself, the other 10% being your AS3 game engine on top.

I've been exclusively building html5 games for 2 years now and I keep finding new browser issues, and more importantly new features and changes I have to cater for. Everything is changing constantly right now and nothing sits still. So if you want to stay on-top of all of this, you've got to be really invested imho.

I'd heard the opposite about sponsors, at least for web games. I've heard that the still pay more for flash games over html5 games because game sponsors still see flash as a more popular platform for gaming.

I've not heard either way about mobile games.

Be interested to see what everyone has experienced with this.

Cheers

I'm trying out phaser right now. Its seems pretty cool, but I can't seem to get anything other than a black screen. Nvm I'm unbelievably retarded/sleep deprived

Also, I don't think "Hello Phaser" is in the repo anymore

I'd heard the opposite about sponsors, at least for web games. I've heard that the still pay more for flash games over html5 games because game sponsors still see flash as a more popular platform for gaming.

Cheers

Well technically its not a sponsor; I just use the term for any entity that pays for games pretty much. This person said specifically she would pay more for a html5 version

If you have experience in programming, using Game Maker can be pretty hard. Using the popular engines is your best go here. Next to Phaser, I also recommend impact.js. You have to pay 99 Bucks once, but it is worth it, since it is extremely minimalist (should be good for you if you prefer to code engines yourself, impact allows this).we are 

It also features a pretty cool class style (I guess a lot here will kill me for saying that but anway), if you like some kind of object-oriented programming (as said you can modify anything yourself, actually in every engine. Its JavaScript talking about here :D)

Cheers

In flash world I've played all roles: developer, publisher and sponsor. 

There are a huge amount of games that you can buy for $150 or less. Flash developers are coding for food nowadays (at least the great majority of them).