Thoughts on new Adobe Animate CC and possible integration with PhaserJS/Lazer

neovive

I just saw the announcement that the Adobe's rebranded version of Flash Professional (Animate CC) is now available. I used Flash for demos and games back in the v4/5 days, but it's been a while since I used it for a project. However, I always found the Flash IDE itself as a great tool for vector art and animation--the Timeline and Tweening tools were always fun to work with. I know that recent versions had CreateJS export options, but was wondering if anyone ever experimented with integrating PhaserJS or if something like this is even possible with the recent update (I noticed that "custom export formats" is listed as a feature). Does anyone think this will ever be possible or will Animate CC be just another tool for generating sprite sheets?

As much as I'd like to play with the Custom Export that Animate provides (and actually Flash CC did too, just better hidden) it's a matter of time, something I don't have much of.

Part of me also feels like if Adobe want this feature, they should cough-up some money and fund it to be developed (not that I expect this to ever happen)

Great point! Adobe would be wise to commit resources (e.g. money and/or developers) towards integrating the Animate IDE with as many web game engines and libraries as possible. Positioning Animate CC as a tool for game/level design and asset creation/management would add significant value. Hopefully, they aren't content with it being used solely for cartoon animation and HTML5 ads.

6 hours ago, WombatTurkey said:

I thought browser's are going to be removing flash? Or is this tool basically just used for animations and then exported to be used inside engines?

Adobe Animate is a totally different thing than Flash.

It generates pure JS and HTML, you can import and use any JS library with it. 

You could even create a game in Phaser, load it into one of Animate's containers, and use Animate to build a rich UI around it.

Or, just start building a game directly in Animate.

It automates all the messy boilerplate code and gives you some really useful high level abstractions so that you can stat making fun stuff fast.

I suggest everyone download the free trail and spend an afternoon playing with it. - it's pretty amazing really.  

Opps.. that was Edge Animate, which is totally different from Animate CC, and how now been sadly deprecated :(

1 hour ago, d13 said:

Adobe Animate is a totally different thing than Flash.

It generates pure JS and HTML, you can import and use any JS library with it. 

You could even create a game in Phaser, load it into one of Animate's containers, and use Animate to build a rich UI around it.

Or, just start building a game directly in Animate.

It automates all the messy boilerplate code and gives you some really useful high level abstractions so that you can stat making fun stuff fast.

I suggest everyone download the free trail and spend an afternoon playing with it. - it's pretty amazing really.  

Oh really? I'm going to try that then. Thanks for the info! I always thought it was just for swf files or something. Little do I know...