Framework games shooting

Alex10

I wrote a small prototype of a multiplayer online shooter.
In the game there is a bot controlled by the server.
There is the possibility of balancing players in rooms.
Game has a minimap and sounds.

But unfortunately the framework is still very not perfect. Not have complete control over the movements of the players on the server side. There is no control over the vector of firing server-side. And the scene was not quite as I would like, but it's just a demo.

I hope someone will take interest in this topic.

frontend - babylon.js

backend - Python 3.5/asyncio

synchronization - websocket

license - MIT

https://github.com/alikzao/tao1#game

• 1 month later...

World-serving!  YAY!  Cool, Alex10!

Alex, have you thought about a nodeJS back end?  http://dailyjs.com/2015/03/20/scenevr/

I used to love MOO's.  Still do, I guess. 

Picture this, Alex.  Same environment, chat, scene-serving, etc... but no battles.  Folks just open their VR area and hang out, chatting, building scenes, and... coding JS.  No game.  Just a VR World.  No probs, right?   Easier than doing a game, but...

..."owned objects" is very important in that multi-user world.  So is inventory and room contents.  So is "walking" (or driving/teleporting) from one scene to another (fake geo).  That... would be FUN! 

I want it!  I want a 12 pack of them!  heh

Then, have it be hosted by Microsoft... on a fast, unlimited-player-byte-quota cloud-DB... FOR FREE!!!  (okay, maybe that part would be difficult)  ;D

One of the most important "features" we had in MOO's... was the abilities to edit/add code to the SERVER... while being logged-in as a player/wizard.  You needed at least "programmer-level" permissions to edit owned code, and if you wanted to edit server core objects/code, you needed "wizard" perms. 

It was a great environment.  Everyone could build/code their personal VR space, and add features/code to the server, while chatting with each other about it, while our player characters were throwing polygons at each other, while playing practical jokes on each other, and always having a ridiculously good time.  We could easily view each others' code, error consoles, scenes/models, examining code-run results together, just super-collaborative.  I dream of the return of that "feel" and flexibility.

Alex, I suspect that your system could allow writing of python scripts for the server... while logged-in as a player/wizard.  But, that seems goofy to me.  We would be writing JS for our BABYLON-based scenes/rooms, but then we would switch to Python... to write code for the server.

If your back-end was written in JS... then we could use JS all the way, whether a player is writing code for self/localScene, or writing code for server/nodeJS.  Pure JS on both sides.  Yum.  :)

But, maybe Python has some advantages over JS, for server-side.  *shrug*  All in all, congrats Alex10!  World serving is excellent, and it was nice of you to share this.  Well done!  (Sorry for long-winded 'attaboy'.  World-serving gets me excited.)

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Alex, have you thought about a nodeJS back end?  http://dailyjs.com/2015/03/20/scenevr/

I was thinking of this exact project @Wingnut.  I was looking up polling to an "asset server" and nodeJS (socket.io) ALWAYS turns up as the best option, so yeh, client and server should be written in JS to take advantage of this.  What you described (and what I was also thinking) is similar to Second Life, but actually better because players could code in Javascript as opposed to the special Second Life language and it runs straight in the browser.  Another thing I like about the Second Life set-up is that their universe is distributed amongst multiple servers.  Basically there's a server per "country".  That way we don't have to rely on one big mega-server, but let people host their own as long as they are all connected to the same grid.

If anyone is working on this type of project I'm happy to contribute my high-quality scans for people to choose as characters.

Thanks for the good reviews, I'm very pleased. 
I want to answer a few questions.
Sorry for my english :)

>>> Alex, have you thought about a nodeJS back end

I love javascript, but I really love python. I started to write game backend in javascript but moved on to Python, because of Python's more advanced OOP and Python is much easier to use data types. In Python I can write asynchrony code for to work with sockets without callback, this greatly simplifies debugging and code reading.

>>> Is there a running sample somewhere?

To my regret now I just have nowhere to run the game in addition to my laptop. As soon as I have some vps I will run and will share the link.

>>> Another thing I like about the Second Life set-up is that their universe is distributed amongst multiple servers. 

This is a very good idea. I think we can do it that way:
We can make the balancing of players between rooms on different servers.
A specific rooms already appointed will serve for balancing server.
All statistics will be accumulated and distributed This collection of all the servers to select strategies and ratings.