Island of conflicts

ioc-dev

Island of conflicts

preview.png.23a28f2d7feeda9d7012760c1c58

http://islandofconflicts.com

This game is a 2D real time survival inspired by Rust.

What is it about ?
- Explore the map and look for necessary resources to make items.
- Survive the hostile environment (animals and players).
- Build your home and expand your property to protect yourself.
- Make weapons and explosives in order to raid and rob other players.
- Try to acquire a title by going into areas guarded by dangerous creatures.
- Title owners receive the ability to tax other players when they're collecting resources.

This game is currently in Beta and we'd like to get some feedbacks ! :)

From that screenshot and your website's landing page, the game looks very charming and promising.

But, based on my personal experience with multiplayer games, I think it isn't going to work with that registration process. Ideally you should find a way to get people started without registering, asking them to register later on once they've had a chance to try the game. But at the very least remove the need for an actual email address, verification emails and all that. A simple user name and password will do.

I understand why you'd want to gather the email addresses of your players, but asking them to invest a couple of minutes to go through the email verification to try a game that they know nothing about, sharing their email address with strangers in the process, is asking a bit too much. Perhaps add the option to log-in with a facebook or twitter account, in my experience that works better as it's much less hassle.

Hello Gio and thank you for your feedback.

You're obviously not the first one pointing to this email verification process and we think we're gonna remove it. But we really need to force new players to make accounts to prevent in game exploits.

The Facebook log-in sounds like a good idea, but don't you think that's more sharing with strangers than just an email ?

Well, these days people can allow or deny individual permissions when logging in through facebook. Most users are not bothered though. We have a facebook game with a few thousand players, and I believe about 85% of them were happy to share their email address. Or rather, they did not expand the permission dialog to explicitly deny the permission. This varies massively on a regional level (e.g. almost 100% of users from India shared their email address, in Europe the figure is closer to 75%).

I think the point is that if you give people the option, most people will still share their email address with you (provided it's a one-click process), but somehow will feel more comfortable about it.

To be clear, unless the game is completely integrated with facebook, I am not suggesting that facebook login should be the only option - your own login system should also be an option for people that don't have / don't want to use a facebook account.

We have another non-facebook game that gives people the option to login through facebook (we don't ask for email addresses there though, we just need a way to identify users). Only about 10% of players use the facebook login in that case. But the alternative is just "enter a unique name and a password", I can see why people would prefer that.

Also worth noting that, on your server side, dealing with multiple login methods is going to be a huge pain the ass. Still worth it IMO.

Those statistics are interesting.

Of course, i was not saying about removing the current log-in system. But we could let people choose.

What I did on another project was making a real account behind the process of the Facebook log-in, and re-sync the user to it after each log-in. I was thinking about doing something similar here.

23 hours ago, ioc-dev said:

But we really need to force new players to make accounts to prevent in game exploits.

Limiting functionality to non-registered or guest accounts may be a better way to allow new players to get a taste of gameplay before requiring login credentials.