Text mesh in ground plane

mwpowellhtx

15 minutes ago, jerome said:

you are missing the parameter scene in your creation call : http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1TP1KF#5

Good catch.

Check it out, however, then it doesn't work. I get a "black", not a "red" plane, and no text whatsoever.

I could be missing something, but this is about as minimalistic an example as I can think of taking into consideration some of the example work I have reviewed.

Would not making an off-line texture in a graphics program be a better option.  You then know things are going happen in 1 draw.  How many draws do you currently do just to display the field with all those lines? (turn on debug using scene.debug = true)

True, there would be waste, since the texture file is square, but field rectangular?  Might be a little blurry on very big screens, but think resorting to dynamic construction, and fonts on different systems is not worth it.

And now for the results (for now).

Figuring the fonts, height, width, and positions, are a bit tricky; plus there is coordinating the plane with the fixture dimensions, to name a couple of things. But that's (somewhat) beyond the scope of BABYLON (and/or WebGL), unless it isn't.

Center doesn't seem to be quite center, but I think there are also some options issues in the DynamicFixture that need to be sorted out.

Yes, still with the z-order thing, I know. In a way, though, I kind of like the effect, it's like the lines are faded or have seen some weather. Anyway, neither here nor there.

football-arena-numbering-2.png

just a naive question : if your texts are known in advandce and fixed forever, why using some text based dynamic textures instead of a single baked texture ...say, a single image with all the text values you need (10, 20, 30, etc) that could be easily done with any text soft ?