3dsMax

MarianG

Hi guys. A few months ago I implement a character using 3dsMax exporter, I think using exporter v,4.1 or 4.2. , on 3dsmax 2015

here is my old version

Now I have a new PC, and I upgrade 3dsMax to 3dsMax2017, and I download exporter v 4.8, I unblock files, but I get the error from attachement.

I missed something ? :)) 

I tried with 2 more animated characters, and the same result.
Thank you.

Screenshot_3.png

It is not certain that the error comes from, but I've had this kind of mistake and that was because of a vertex in the unnecessary empty. simply remove this vertex useless and then it could work.

Alternatively this can also be an unnecessary use materials with a texture that does not exist or type of unsupported materials.

@bulisor -

I don't know if this will help, but I've also run into the same issue. My solution for these types of problems are to export to the FBX format, or to use the Autodesk FBX converter to convert as well as to view the meshes and animation prior to exporting. Then I generally rely on importing the FBX file into Blender and export a .babylon scene file from Blender - which for me holds the highest compatability for all scene elements providing I import an FBX file which maintains al scene elements. And if you write to an ASCII FBX file format, these are fairly simple to edit manually if you run into any problems you cannot solve in an application; as well as it is often obvious to find errors in an ASCII FBX file as erors will often display null or infinite values.

I hope this helps, as @Dad72 is correct in saying that these issues are very difficult to identify. However, I generally can find them in reading through the ASCII FBX verson of the scene, providing the scene isn't unreasonably enormous - which in case you generally have much larger issues to deal with.

Cheers,

DB

Hi dbawel. 

My first try with export was with blender, but was a year ago, and then blender wasn't too efficient. Now it looks more powerfull.

I think I'll make a try, because I already have the fbx file.

Thank you for suggestion.

ps: As off-topic. :))

i have the same character with a lot of animations, but all are a new fbx file. And I think I should use fbx exporter, for mergeing on the same skeleton, right?

But nobody talk about it. :))

Hi @bulisor -

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to merge takes from different fbx files using the free FBX Converter, or the Take Manager in the converter. I have to use MotionBuilder to do this - but I'm generally blending motions to create move trees anyway, and I can do everything in a fraction of the time it takes in any other application. However, if you know of a way to merge takes from seperate FBX files in the FBX Converter, then this would be of value to everyone - as I've only been able to seperate or remove Takes and save FBX files in the free converter. I wish Autodesk would add this function, but you can always download and use MotionBuilder for 30 days with full functionality if necessary; as I recommend MB to anyone working on character animation for games, as it reduces my production time by at least 80% for allmost all aspects of game development. But I certainly understand how the cost of MB is out of reach for many, however almost anyone can qualify for the fully functional student version, which is a few hundred dollars.

And I often use Blender for exporting to the .babylon format from FBX, as @JCPalmer has built an incredibly efficient exporter with the most compatability of any exporter I've personally used.

Cheers,

DB

Thank you. It works well. God bless you.

PS: I tried fbxExporter too, and  MotionBuilder (thanks to Dbawel). And results was promissing, but a babylonjs file exported with fbxExporter is almost double as dimension, compare to a babylonjs file exported from 3dsMax. And now i'm trying to export the same file with blender. 

@bulisor -

1 hour ago, bulisor said:

PS: I tried fbxExporter too, and  MotionBuilder (thanks to Dbawel). And results was promissing, but a babylonjs file exported with fbxExporter is almost double as dimension, compare to a babylonjs file exported from 3dsMax. And now i'm trying to export the same file with blender. 

If you're referring file size, the reason is due to many factors, and depends on whether you're writing an ASCII FBX file or Binary FBX - which the Binary FBX will be many times samller in size. However I personally use ASCII FBX files for the main reason that I can manually edit them very easily, as they are simple to read and edit - and I can accomplish processes quicly without the need to open in MB or another application. And I can also batch process many ASCII FBX files with simple scripts to quickly make substantial modifications I'm unable to perform in applications as well.

But another primary reason for the difference in file size is that the exporters are written with keeping the file size as low as possible by developers such as @JCPalmer, whoc reduces the file size to the lowest common denomonator by operations such as removing leading zeros from float values - at least this was one of the last discussions we had on the forum prior to the last version of the .babylon Blender exporter.

So for me it is a matter of convenience and also compatability, as I use MotionBuilder for almost all character animation and scene optimization. Also, please keep in mind that the ASCII FBX file format is easily editable in text format and holds all scene info - as well as compatible between most all applications which is unique to the FBX format. Otherwise, if you don't require these added benefits or work in MB, then I would certainly use Blender (or 3DSMax) to export .babylon files - and do use them.

Cheers,

DB