VRDeviceOrientationFreeCamera smooth/ease?

VbGuyNY

I am currently working on a game for the Google Cardboard with the VRDeviceOrientationFreeCamera.  Everything is working great except that the camera isn't very smooth when using the VRDeviceOrientationFreeCamera object compared to the standard FreeCamera object.  I have already tried playing around with the speed and inertia properties but they don't appear to have any affect in the VRDeviceOrientationFreeCamera.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Hiya @VbGuyNY... welcome to the forum... good to have you with us.  Geez, I'm sorry it has taken so long to get replies. 

I did some playground experiments with THIS demo:  http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#27FN5R#19

I saw some stuttering and jerking when I first started cursoring-around, but I had many other playgrounds open in other windows, and the stuttering would come and go.  (It was acting like a stutter-during-JS-garbage-collection type of thing.) 

When I closed the other playground windows, that VRDOFC demo got reasonably smooth again, and remained that way.  Still, I see a "stutter" sometimes.  Firefox (what I mostly use) has a reputation of having some garbage collection (GC) stuttering.  Maybe I will try to do some memory leak checks in a little while, but I'm not very good at doing that, either.  :)

I'm not very experienced with these things, and really, I just wanted to bump the topic.  One might wonder IF something is bogging-down the orientation events coming from your orient-driven device.  Are you testing... using a big scene?  Could something else in your scene... be causing bog/lag trouble?  *shrug*

Babylon.js added the new Custom Camera Inputs feature a few months ago, but we have not heard of any problems, until now.

I wish I could be more helpful.  Perhaps experts will comment soon, and/or maybe others will report camera movement stuttering... if they see it in the above demo or other VRDOFC demos.  I'll keep thinking, too, but my thinking rarely leads to anything fruitful.  :D   hmm.