[WIP] Word Craft

PaulSonny

Morning All,

Thought i'd pop in and showcase my first HTML5/phaser game.

It's a WIP, working with a vector artist for artwork and looking to introduce sounds next but super excited and thought i'd hopefully get some feedback from you some of you folk.

preview.png

You can play at http://www.pswebsolutions.co.uk/wordsearch/

It's a word game. You have 60 seconds on the clock and have to make as many words as you can, each correct word gives you a little time bonus.

Please feel free to give me your feedback

Kind Regards, Paul.

5 hours ago, htmlhigh5 said:

Ok seems nice but my biggest annoyance was that plurals simply don't work. For example I spelled "cap" and it earned me points but "caps" didn't. Since this is a word game I don't think this is a bug that can be overlooked.

Thanks for the feedback. The game uses a dictionary file so added plural words wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Paul.

On 7/5/2016 at 3:50 PM, PaulSonny said:

Thanks for the feedback. The game uses a dictionary file so added plural words wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Paul.

Really?

bug.png

I'm no dictionary but I'm pretty sure "dabs" is a word. Especially since "dab" was recognized. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 5:50 PM, marabout said:

Nice game, kind of Ruzzle-like. Is it possible to implement multiple languages ?

It would be possible yes. The game uses a .txt file for the list of words so an alternative .txt file for additional languages would be created.

On 7/7/2016 at 3:17 AM, htmlhigh5 said:

Really?

bug.png

I'm no dictionary but I'm pretty sure "dabs" is a word. Especially since "dab" was recognized. 

As mentioned previously, the game uses a standard dictionary file so to add plural words wouldn't be an issue.

1 hour ago, mattstyles said:

I had only 3 vowels in my first run through and 2 of those were on the edges, the 3rd being more central but was surrounded by 2 Q's (it was an A) so I think I made most of the available words, which was not very many.

It did not like Bums!

This made me LOL. I've just improved the dictionary to include plurals, this should make for better game play.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The timer makes it surprisingly addictive.  I'm always fascinated by the impact of simple mechanics towards the fun factor of a game.  Leader boards for this game would certainly be grand.

The timer goes too fast.  However not in a "this is too hard" or unfair context, but more of a "I want to continue my current game even longer" sort of context.  I'd suggest adjusting the timer in a sense that will sustain the challenge but allow players to rack up an even higher score.  Perhaps this can be achieved with a faster timer but higher time increase per word found.  That little sense of accomplishment can be the difference between me giving this current critique then moving on, as opposed to me still playing the game right now.  Just my $.02, best of luck and I hope to see how it turns out!