Switch Babylon versions in Playground

FlashyGoblin

Just a feature request for the Playground. It would be excellent if we could choose between which version of Babylon to use with a Playground. It is always helpful to reference the newest alpha builds. But as new versions are released, it outdates a lot of past Playgrounds pretty quickly. Being able to toggle the version would also help to detect bugs and to debug new features.

Is this even possible? I'd love to hear other opinions. Thanks!

AMEN!  (What did he say?)  :D  Oh, full screen without pointerLock?  *nod*  And don't forget editor +/- button that correctly re-centers the scene AFTER Editor +

That'd be cool, too.  "Monaco, oh Monaco... sing a song of Monaco." 

Darn you, Gryff... ya got my brain all packed-up with noisy music.  :)  New CD, ya think?  Shaders of Summer?  PBR Ain't Just Beer Anymore?  Octree Logger's Blues?  Fresnel From Fresno?  Path a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Y Axis?  Spherical Harmonica?  My Babe's Got A Soft Imposter Body?  Particle Patty?  Babylongitude?  (it's all in the name, ya know)  :)

My PG intellisense is broken, lately, too.  And I see a couple of (possibly un-related) errors...

SecurityError: Failed to load worker script at "http://yoda.blob.core.windows.net/monaco/vs/base/worker/workerMain.js?service2"
SecurityError: Failed to load worker script at "http://yoda.blob.core.windows.net/monaco/vs/base/worker/workerMain.js?service1"

"You seek Yoda"  ;)

Hello probably it's me,
the playground network admin and me had a hard time. I learning Javascript at the same time, and currently i try to implement something nice, i run in a lot of bufferoverflows, the playground window freeze and i had to close it trough task manager, not a big deal for me.
I dont even know if javascript have something like an buffer overflow, basically i run a loop, but i made a mistake, so i never will  receive any output back.

But i wonder how this problem occurs server side. isn't there some functions to prevent that, like in visual studio, or even in browsers, that just throw an error at some time.

I kind of sorry, i switch now to my local copy of the playground. (local copy: isent the playground already open sourced ? i cant find any information about this, i just grab it, hopefully nobady will notice, i also use it for education purposes only)

Thank you
Best 

Edited by Nabroski
education purpose

Hi @Nabroski!  You are talking about slow-running/never-ending playground script?  *nod*  Been there, done that.  :D  Sometimes browsers report approx. "slow script - continue or end?"... but it is easy to turn this OFF and not know how to turn it ON again.  This document tells a bit about it, or you can web search for "slow script" and get results.

In Firefox, I don't get the "slow script" warning anymore, because I think I turned it OFF somehow.  I get "Not Responding" window-title message.  :)  I use "force close" or task manager, same as you.  Sometimes I think browsers need a "emergency reset button", right?

If I understood correctly, yes, good questions/subject.  How to escape lock-outs and freeze-ups while playground coding.  Wrapping in TRY/CATCH only works for errors, not for runaway loops.  I think the "test for problems" needs to be on client/browser side, not server/playground side.

HOW browsers determine "slow script" warning criteria...  interesting reading.  Also, the f12 developer tools, and Firefox's Firebug system... MIGHT have ways to stop scripts with a button press.  Too bad f12 key fails and developer tools buttons... fail, too, eh?  When a browser "goes stupid", it REALLY goes stupid.  :D

I hope I am on-subject.  You are wishing for a "rescue my browser" button on the playground GUI.  I agree, good idea, but probably impossible.  I'm not a pro... or even near.  Smarter folks will surely comment... so stay tuned.  Thx for the idea... it's a good one!  How to do it?  *scratch scratch*

Hello 
@Wingnut thank you for the tip, very helpful. I found recently some of your playgrounds, great for learning.

I hurts me, i have just today 20 aborted playground session, and the empty sting arrays, i tried to feed in, are still somewhere out their.

Best

Hi DK, thx for interest.

Broken Intellisense, yoda/monaco CORS errors (2), and a FF-only "rectangle error"... happen in all PG's lately.  Screen grab Firefox 47 here.  IE here.  I believe these errors CAN be fixed and are not user-caused.  These are new errors - around 1 month since they started.

* Errors like endless looping, non-responding browser, etc... those are rare for me, and always caused BY ME:)   My mistakes.

Most-recent browser-crasher I had (FF & IE).... was here:   http://babylonjs-playground.com/#DIF54#5 (upon clicking RUN)   

It was my mistake but maybe @Nockawa can invent a prevention.  I used 'canvas' as parent parameter in line 15.  Should have been 'rect' like demo version #6 or completely removed like #7.

Lock-ups and browser crashes - very rare for me.  Always my fault - Wingnut doing bad coding. :)

@Nabroski crashing/freeze-up... dunno why.  Sounds like run-away looping.  Common user mistake... me too. 

* @Deltakosh - you sometimes do miracles.  Nabroski and I were hoping-for a miracle "recover my browser" button... or "stop this script" button (in the PG GUI) (for user-caused mistakes). 

Likely not possible.  All buttons are likely un-clickable after browser lockup or endless looping, but we still ask. 

Nabroski asked if browsers have "script is taking too long" - checker, and I showed him info about that.

I tried to keep this brief, but this thread has become a "playground features request" topic, accidentally.   :)  Needed to clarify.  Hope I was understandable.

That looks nice.   I didn't mean to imply anything.  It sounded like you were struggling with playgrounds freezing-up, trying to get things to RUN.  That looks like it's running pretty good.  Your own version of the playground? 

@Wingnut
nah, it's online. but closed source.

For 5bucks you get 1000fps, i got here an 6y old notebook, mean for 10bucks you the full pack unlimited framerate. 

Therefore you can't recognized anything above 200fps, you have to record it to see, that 

something happens. :)

(engine.Beginframe()-Endframe/Newframe will give you the first 100fps+ then you have to stack all the crazy new fps in a var and overload it over a function outside the scope, to a object property.)

Best