Catching mouse events in ScreenSpaceCanvas2D

jasonnance

Hi, I've been searching around for an answer to this and haven't found it in the docs or on here, so apologies if I missed something.

I'm writing an application with some 3D stuff going on in the background and some information displayed in a 2D screen space canvas in the foreground.  I want to be able to use both for interaction, but I want the 2D screen space canvas to take priority.  I have some 3D objects that should be clickable, but if they're covered by a 2D canvas shape, I want the 2D shape to catch all the mouse events.

Here's a playground that will hopefully help explain what I mean:

http://babylonjs-playground.com/#KMVGI

If you click on just the box, its opacity changes; this is fine.  If you click on just the rect, its opacity changes; this is also fine.  If you click on the area where the two overlap, both opacity properties change.  I'd like for just the rect's opacity to change in that case.  I'd also like for the pointer cursor to not appear on the area where the two overlap.

How can I accomplish this?  My 2D elements are simple enough that I could probably determine their bounding boxes and make sure any pointer events aren't contained in any of those boxes before handling them on my 3D objects, but that sounds nasty, and I feel like there must be a simpler solution I'm missing.

Thanks!

Hi @jasonnance, welcome to the forum.  The "click-thru-screenSpaceCanvas" has been seen and reported, and according to @Nockawa's post here, the pointer events thing is being worked-on.  Maybe Nockawa will visit and drop us a status report about clicking on/thru a screen space canvas.  He is the author of Canvas2D system.

I did SOME experimenting... trying to get cursor-pointer operational... but failed.

http://babylonjs-playground.com/#1ONKPJ#11

Work happening in line 75... using CSS stylerule for cursor.

Slowly, gently, move your cursor over the "Over Me" button.  The cursor switches to finger-pointer... just for a moment, as it enters the green rect2d area, but then quickly changes back to arrow.  If you continue mousing-over toward the center text2D within the rect2D... you'll see cursor switch to finger-pointer AGAIN... but just for a moment.  Darn.

Also, I tried some use of scene.hoverCursor, but I failed with that, too. 

Just possibly, a guy could set that pointer-over action... to be an executeCodeAction... which let''s you run a function of your choice... on pointerOver of the rect2D.  In that function, you might be able to set scene.hoverCursor (and un-set it onPointerOut). 

But it is unlikely that this will work, because scene.hoverCursor might not recognize a screenSpaceCanvas, rect2d, or text2d... as hover-able things.  They are not mesh and not a DOM entity.

SO, I have nothing but bad news for you, so far.  I will keep thinking.  The momentary flashes of the finger-pointer cursor... when gently moving onto the OVER ME button... is SOME progress, but not much.

Again, welcome to the forum.  I wish I had better news about your issues.  I agree with all you have requested, and I will keep thinking/testing when I have time.  Be well, talk again soon.

Hi @Wingnut, thanks for thinking and testing.  It sounds like the issue is caused by using a ScreenSpaceCanvas, which handles interaction separate from the world.  It sounds like I could use a WorldSpaceCanvas instead, as your PG in the thread you linked does (http://babylonjs-playground.com/#1KRMMG%2311), and get the results I want.  I'll give that a shot.

Oh, you found that 4-worldspace thing, eh J?  What a beast, huh?  It can be done with 4-screenspace, too  (Nockawa reminded me later that screenspace's have origin/location and size settings.)

WorldSpaceCanvas2D have a 'node' associated with them, and I think that node (a mesh) is set .isPickable by default.  So, if you mousewheel-in a bit on that PG, and spin around a certain way, you can actually drag'n'drop the side menus... just like you can the mesh.  Weird.   Just thought I'd point that out.  :)  If the 4 menus were made of screenSpaceCanvas2d's, that would not be possible...  no node/mesh associated with that type of canvas2D. 

I enjoy trying demented unnatural things with the Canvas2D system, but I think it makes Nockawa nervous.  heh.  Thanks for fiddling with the observables for us, N.  And if you have words about the cursor/crosshairs/grab-hand stuff, we'd be glad to listen.  (thx)

Ok, I've found two issues that were preventing you to succeed in your task.

Firstable, there's something you should have done (and I understand it's hard to notice), I've modified your PG: http://babylonjs-playground.com/#KMVGI#1 you'll see the line 30 is new, it's basically for you to tell me: "stop processing more observers", which is what you want: only the observer of the canvas to be processed, but not the observer of the 3D Engine.

That's all you have to do you make your case working (well, now I've fixed the bugs ;) ).

One little more info: event are first processed by the Canvas2D Engine, then they're processed by the 3D Engine if you don't set this property to true. I believe it's the right way to go because when you have on screen UI, you want it to be processed first.

@MasterK I think you should be interested by this news/thread for your work.

1 minute ago, MasterK said:

@Nockawa

wow. That mean if i have 2 screenCanvas. i click on the top one. i can stop the bottom canvas to catch the event ? Good. And I think it's according to the SC's create order??

exactly, and use some kind of logic to bypass your implem if you want another ScreenCanvas to actually do it.