[WIP] TombSweeper - a minesweeper rpg

greaper

Hello guys!

ts.pngts2.png

This is a minesweeper-like rpg. It is more difficult and also more interesting than the original minesweeper.

Your hero starts from level 1 when you enter every floor. You gain experience and level up from sweeping the weakest monsters. The mark on the cell show total levels of monsters around that cell. You have to find out which monster is the weakest - this is a bit more difficult than the minesweeper - and kill it for experience.

You attack is the same with your level. As for the monster, both its attack and its hit points are the same with its level. When you open a cell, the fight begins and you will attack first.  As you can see, you can kill the same or lower level monsters in one strike safely. Although you can also kill higher level monsters, you will lose some hit points.

This game is currently almost the same with MamonoSweeper on Android and TowerSweeper on iOS. Actually I want to make it closer to a rogue-like rpg game where you can sometimes find items from defeated monsters ( such as potions and scrolls ) and get quests from NPCs in deeper floors ( like Dungelot ). But this is a WIP game so I havent finished these features yet and you wont see these in the current link.

You can play here: http://174.140.165.208/phonegap/

This game is coded with Phaser.io. Actually I want to make it a mobile game with phonegap after it is completed. So dont be unpleased with the small screen size...

Sorry for my poor English. Thanks! 

Seems like a pretty cool take on MineSweeper. I always feel like such a sucker for games that take something I already know how to play and add a meta "RPG" element to it.

While I was playing, I felt like I would have really liked the ability to 'flag' some unexplored tiles where I knew there was a monster. It would be even better if I could tag how many levels it was (if I had figured that out). I can see that it's designed for a mobile experience, so maybe if I could switch whether my tap is an 'explore/fight' option like normal or an 'increment flag' option that would only mark unexplored tiles with a number ('?', 1, 2, 3, etc. then back to blank). It can be a strain to constantly have to re-math what level of monster is on which block.

Some questions I had while playing as well:
Do I gain experience from exploring or only from fighting? I felt like it would have been nice to gain even a small amount of XP from uncovering empty tiles, as it gives me some way to level up if I am surrounded by only higher level monsters.
What is the box in the top right corner? Are you planning for an inventory or something?

Overall thoughts are that it is pretty neat. I'd be interested to see how it further develops!

17 hours ago, lumoludo said:

Seems like a pretty cool take on MineSweeper. I always feel like such a sucker for games that take something I already know how to play and add a meta "RPG" element to it.

While I was playing, I felt like I would have really liked the ability to 'flag' some unexplored tiles where I knew there was a monster. It would be even better if I could tag how many levels it was (if I had figured that out). I can see that it's designed for a mobile experience, so maybe if I could switch whether my tap is an 'explore/fight' option like normal or an 'increment flag' option that would only mark unexplored tiles with a number ('?', 1, 2, 3, etc. then back to blank). It can be a strain to constantly have to re-math what level of monster is on which block.

Some questions I had while playing as well:
Do I gain experience from exploring or only from fighting? I felt like it would have been nice to gain even a small amount of XP from uncovering empty tiles, as it gives me some way to level up if I am surrounded by only higher level monsters.
What is the box in the top right corner? Are you planning for an inventory or something?

Overall thoughts are that it is pretty neat. I'd be interested to see how it further develops!

Thanks lumoludo! Yeah giving minesweeper the RPG element is exactly what I want! I enjoy such games too.

Yep I'll add flag function in the future as this is still in WIP. As for the experience, currently exp is only gained from defeating monsters, but your suggestion is really wonderful which I havent thinked of! I'll add this feature to my game and test it:D As for that top right box, I decided to make it a main menu button but havent finished it...Inventory panel may be put in the bottom but not yet sure as I still need room to place flag button ( I'm not good at artwork and layout at all...)

Thanks again!

Amazing Game! Greaper you did a fantastic work on here.

At first sight it looks like the classic idea too complicated to work well, but when you start playing you realize it's not. Its original, well-done and fun to play. Congratulations.

In the other hand, I found an error. if you click too fast in several tiles, the monster appears but it doesn't die. This happens if you click in a square with a monster inside before the previous animation ended.

I had all the 4-level monsters at the end of the game, and when I was sure, I clicked on all pretty fast. Some of the monsters didn't die and the game didn't end, even when there were no more 'rocks' to destroy.

Either way, good job!

Gonzalo.

Tested on Firefox in a 5" Android. The current game is working good. It keeps the Minesweeper challenge and luck factor with success.

I guess it'll be funnier and rewarding after including healing items, and such. Maybe from chests in empty squares, more than enemy drops.

And I second all the suggestions already posted here. Keep it up!

Is there any public repository of your source code?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016/9/2 at 7:44 PM, Liranan said:

Amazing Game! Greaper you did a fantastic work on here.

At first sight it looks like the classic idea too complicated to work well, but when you start playing you realize it's not. Its original, well-done and fun to play. Congratulations.

In the other hand, I found an error. if you click too fast in several tiles, the monster appears but it doesn't die. This happens if you click in a square with a monster inside before the previous animation ended.

I had all the 4-level monsters at the end of the game, and when I was sure, I clicked on all pretty fast. Some of the monsters didn't die and the game didn't end, even when there were no more 'rocks' to destroy.

Either way, good job!

Gonzalo.

Thank you Liranan! Yep this is a bug and I've already fixed it! Now click is prevented during combat.

On 2016/9/3 at 1:07 AM, Titanio Verde said:

Tested on Firefox in a 5" Android. The current game is working good. It keeps the Minesweeper challenge and luck factor with success.

I guess it'll be funnier and rewarding after including healing items, and such. Maybe from chests in empty squares, more than enemy drops.

And I second all the suggestions already posted here. Keep it up!

Is there any public repository of your source code?

Thanks for reply! I've just made some updates and now you can find healing potions in blank cells.

I will push my codes to github after completed but currently I'm still newbie to it and not familiar enough. Before that my codes can only be accessed from the link...

hello guys!

I have made one big modification in this game. Now the monsters are no longer scattered randomly through out the board. Instead, weaker monsters are more likely to be spawned near the entrance, while higher level monsters are more likely to appear in the cells far from the entrance. After this algorithm change, players can survive longer as they generally meet monsters of the same level, which also reduce the luck factor of this game.

Besides, there is one down-stairs in the dungeon. If lucky enough, players can go down to the next dungeon without the need to explore all the cells. But there are always healing potions somewhere in every level. So whether to find out all potions in current level or just ignore treasures going down to the next dungeon, it's all up to you! Also, the dungeon gets harder descending. Players start with 16 * 16 board and level 5 monsters, while the hardest board is of 24 * 24 cells with level 9 monsters!

Hope all minesweeper and rpg loves can like this game !

ss_m.png

ss1.png