The Wingnut Chronicles

Wingnut

Hi gang!  I needed to publish a VLS/godrays work-in-progress so I could talk turkey with framework authors about some VLS features.  So, you guys might as well use it to bog-down your processors, too. 

http://playground.babylonjs.com/#10OZXZ

CreateInstance seems to be a FINE way to use a single godrays emitter... many times.  The "mother" of all the instances... is emitter, the tiny dot in the middle.  It is currently billboard... it always faces the camera.  Mother Emitter's .POSITION... affects the "aiming" of the instances.  Let's send it on an orbit.

http://playground.babylonjs.com/#10OZXZ#1

FUN!  3 fps here.  Smokin' fast!  (no fault of the framework or JS.  Author-caused.)  :)

Update 2017 working flasher.. using clones.   http://playground.babylonjs.com/#10OZXZ#6

Okay, that's plenty of FPS reports. 

I hope ALL of your pets... pee on your beds.  ;)

I went lookin' today.  Maybe Lenovo Erazer x315/x510/x700... they look ok... almost within budget.  *sigh*  (cpu envy)

I feel old... and broke.  :)   And you guys are SO helpful... revving your racing motorcycles as you blow past my wheelchair.  haha

Hi again!  Recently, DK was kind enough to relocate some .babylon files... into scope of the playground (thx dk).  So, I made a playground version of our bones and skeletons demo.  Fun!

Then I went searching for its keyframes.  I sent my in-browser object inspector on a mission to inspect rabbit1.skeleton, and there it all was... all the world-destroying power that a guy could ever need.

But this brought me back to something Dad72 once said.  Skeletons MUST be animated in the modeler (in Blender/3DsMax, etc).  So, Dad72... if you're still around... could you tell me why a person couldn't set animation on skeletons... from within BJS?  When I examined one of the bones on the rabbit, I saw an array of 141 keyframes.  A person COULD manually program those keyframes, correct?  *shrug*  If you could clarify, Dad72, that would be great.  Thanks.  (Maybe I can animate the skeleton until I'm goofy, but the mesh won't move with the skeleton cuzzzzz... I didn't use a modeler)  :)

On a related topic, mousewheel/zoom that camera until you see a close-up of Dude's belt buckle.  See what's happening with that "buckle" and the slot in Dude's front armor?  BECAUSE the skeleton is using this area as a torso twist-area, the buckle's placement is not very accurate. 

Vousk Productions would NEVER allow an animation to go out of the studio with THAT kind of slop.  :D  (VP, are the panos that you did for the cathedral... available to be viewed?  Share, if possible. thx.)

Back to our demo... I noticed that keyframe #1 happens at frame .714xxxxx and keyframe #2 happens at frame 1.428xxxxx, etc.  FUN!  Hey VP... ready to do a little frame by frame animating?  Time for stickpeople and a bvh testing app?  Time for Wingy to stop believing that he could EVER have the patience to hand-animate a dude chasing a rabbit around?  Maybe I agree.  :)

Wingnut's first-time playing with skeletons and bones.  Interesting.  Alluring yet... hand-animating can take YEARS away from a person's life, I suspect.  VP can probably tell us more about the addiction called "GOTTA ANIMATE SOMETHING NOW".  :)

Wingnut you crazy guy! You're blowing my mind with all your fancy godrays! So cool!

And yeah, creating animations within blender is possible.... hmmm.... I wonder....

I wonder if it would make sense to create animations from a list of different animations! Imagine a game with pre-animated talking. So you walk up to a guy, and he starts talking to you. His head moves, he blinks, and he opens and closes his mouth. Whenever it seems fit, he may wave his hands around and dance or do whatever. This could be done within an editor such as mine or dad72's... by creating a "timeline" of animations... which the editor would export as a single animation. So certain animations could only affect certain bones, which would be exported accordingly. :o :O 

:)  Yeah!  Cool ideas!  I'm sure such things can be done.  Efficiently?  I dunno.  :)

Folks, Josh and others are having an excellent conversation about skeletons, bones, and skinning... at this url.

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/13491-attach-mesh-to-bone/#entry77786

I am learning LOTS from that thread.  Yum!

Stupid off-topic:  My friend Bob is video director of press conferences for NCAA sports, sometimes, and here is a recent pieced-together high-rez picture of the press area of the Final Four in Indianapolis.  In the picture, a press conference is underway.  Zoom-in for lots of fun things to examine.  Sorry for the off-topic.  :)

Hi kids!   There's a rumor that SIMD is circling the BabylonJS airport and requesting landing clearance.  Interesting... maybe.  :)

Looks like BJS is already fully SIMD enabled.  Look at Math.ts, https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/Babylon/Math/babylon.math.ts.

Search for 'SIMD' and you will get over 100 hits, including a SIMDHelper class at the very end of the file.  Any responsible party want to comment?

I'm confused.  I think I need "like I am 3".  :)

But yeah, SIMD, I saw SIMD comments in BJS github and I had to look it up, and then I announced the rumor.  But DK was doing it behind the scenes... at strategic bog-points in the framework.  This "precise applying" activity looked kind of secret, so I had some fun with that, too.  shhh.  Knights of the Single Instruction policies, ya know.  :)

So, now, where's that leave us?  Yep, at the most recent post of the chronicles... and nothing but green pastures and SIMD racing code in our pockets.  Grab the helmets... let's go SIMD sanctioned JS racing!  YAY!

(Jeff LOVES whimsy and frivolity, so I painted-on a big syrup-y goo-ball of it, just for Jeff.)  heh

Fenomas and Raan&$#^BGJ/&^%man are kind-of serious, too.  Too much programming and not enough faery tale stories, apparently.  But this is a techno-artist area, so these pure-logic guys will be assimilated... into whimsyville.  Resistance is futile.  ;)

Have nightly build now.  Good news: 

• can have both regular FireFox & this on same system
  • SIMD IS there

Less great news:

simd true" test.html:26:9TypeError: SIMD.float32x4.reciprocalSqrt is not a function

The first line is mine, it found it.  I did not Enable it though.  Must be in Babylon somewhere.  I thought I had searched the whole repo.

Wingnut@WINGYWORLD ~/node_junk/bd2xml$ git help cloneLaunching default browser to display HTML ...Wingnut@WINGYWORLD ~/node_junk/bd2xml$ git clone https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/ ./clone/Cloning into './clone'...remote: Counting objects: 14159, done.remote: Compressing objects: 100% (148/148), done.Receiving objects: 100% (14159/14159), 406.25 MiB | 5.40 MiB/s, done.remote: Total 14159 (delta 81), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 14011Resolving deltas: 100% (9277/9277), done.Checking connectivity... done.Checking out files: 100% (656/656), done.Wingnut@WINGYWORLD ~/node_junk/bd2xml$ WOW!

I am SO proud of myself!  You linux-like big-dogs do 100 of these git ops every day... but... Wingnut?  Get real.  Yet there it is.  My first git-thing, ever!  Yay!   I might BE SOMEBODY, someday!  ;)