The Wingnut Chronicles

Wingnut

ANYway... :)

So, here's what I'm thinking lately... (oh no)

Remember that recent "layer" thing that Temechon told us about?  http://playground.babylonjs.com/#1XQKP1#4

Whelp, I am going to investigate this, more.  I want to learn the max width and height allowed for that panorama image, and then maybe learn what the best width and height, are.  If anyone already has some numbers, I'd love to hear them.  Or any other hints and tips.  Cough 'em up, experts.  :)

Inside that demo...  alert(engine._gl.MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE); -> 3379    ...for me.  Is that a bank PIN?  :)

I really like this layer-based background-texturing system.  It has much potential.  Once I learn what the perfect image size is, I am going to create a blank texture of that exact size, and paste-on some procedural clouds.  Then I might try to animate that texture with a little uOffset drifting.  Cooool.  Thoughts?  Demos?  Pizza?  :)  PARTY!

Good to play with this layer-based background. Nice idea to put some procedural clouds.

If one could one day achieve for BJS a "weather" system as excellent as the one in "Quest3D" and its child "Lumion" that would be just AMAZING ! :rolleyes:

I think for good results on your tries it would be good to rotate camera on roll -alpha- only (constraining pitch -beta- to horizontal view)

And when you'll be happy with your results, it would then be really interesting to try those procedural clouds on a cubemap instead of a simple background panorama layer. B)

nod.  I think I cam-flew inside-of a fireTextured box, once (non-cubeMap).  It was a little too much, and I started crying and ran home.  :)  But yeah, cubeMap clouds/fire would be fun tests.  Get on that, VP.  heh.

I think cloud drifting in cubeMap/skybox mode... will be a challenge.  Rotate the skybox on Y-axis, I suppose.  *shrug*

http://www.emanueleferonato.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/360/

(Hit any key to advance to the next panorama.)

Sigh.  No seams.  *scratch scratch*

That guy knows his panorama's, huh?  We got work ahead.  :)

This brings back memories of seeing all factory disinfected, me who lived down the street from 20 years to 23 years (Three years of vagrancy and learning life). an experience of life when living in such a condition. survival mode. it's funny but I find it almost pretty.  :)

The panoramas are very well done.

Geez, dad72... sorry to hear that you had to live like that.  It's not right to force young people into such bad conditions, no matter how societally rebellious they seem to others.  That makes me sad, and maybe you, too.  Children must go through a rather tough transition when ages 18-24.  Pretty deep and heavy subject. 

Sorry about that reminder.  I hope you didn't take too much permanent damage from those years.  I should have found some more-happy panoramas, eh?  :/

Mr. Feronato talks about his panoramas... here... http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2014/12/10/html5-webgl-360-degrees-panorama-viewer-with-three-js/

I really like panoramas.  I can view many places on the planet... without the huge airline costs. 

I would love to have a panorama image from every forum user's roof.  :)  That would be fun.

Do not worry Wingnut. this was not a bad experience for me. I learned many things in this way, a different perspective on life. No one should not be afraid of the street is an experience that makes strong and rich from the inside.

No problem Wingnut. in terms of leaving a trace. we keep a form of marginality then.

Yep, nice panos. I really love panoramas too. If I remember well I did one from my roof last winter, and I did one from my roof in my previous appartment many years ago, I'll dig in my drive and put them on the web for you Wingy.

My previous job was about stereoscopic panoramas (among other VR, AR and stereoscopic funny stuff), I can assure you that with depth it's even more enjoyable to see!

He he, back to that time, no WebGL at all  :P  but a lot of VRML :rolleyes:. Combining a "hand made" videotexture and what we call now as a cubemap, I once did a 360 stereoscopic video for a virtual tour of a french cathedral (Reims), more than 10 years ago (maybe the very first traveling stereo pano, who knows :lol:).

If you love panoramas, it's really easy to do by yourself. Just take series of pictures rotating on yourself, and then combine those pics with the marvelous (and free) Hugin. You'll get beautifull pics.

If you then want to be able to "move inside" while dragging your mouse, you can convert them with Autodesk Stitcher, or Quicktime Pro, or Pano2VR, or many other freeware but I don't remember their names.

Also if you have a not too old smartphone, the camera app is sometimes provided with a panorama mode (but generated pics are often not so great). On android, ProCapture app has a pretty good pano mode. But I recommend making those kind of pics by hand with Hugin, you'll really get the best results.

Hey Dad72, I hear that you stopped development on CastorEngine game editor.  (oh no).  Can you tell us why?  If not, it's ok, too.  But, man, that is a cool game-maker editor.  Very advanced.  PLEASE don't do something stupid like delete it.  I'll pay you money just to let me archive the source code.  Seriously.  There's got to be MEGATONS of hot knowledge in there.

Even your personal story of developing a monster project... that's valuable, too.  I want to hear it all, Dad72.  Even write in French... I'll feed it thru Google translate.  I hope you're not sad.  CastorEngine is a huge success, no matter what it's current status (I think).  Tell us the whole story, if you can.  Thanks.

Hi Wingnut,

First of all, thank you for the interest you have for castorEngine. There are several things that I arrested the editor.
  1. - The first point is that I'm not good at advertising, so I did not have user of this editor, nobody to report my bugs, so I was not able to evolve this program.
  2. - The second reason is that I believe that with the arrival of export Babylon for Unity3D, nobody use my editor and choose to use Unity, which is normal for what can and Unity million 'existing user (tutorials, excellent documentation, great community ...)
  3. - And the last reason is that when I started my editor I did not have the experience I have gained using babylon and suddenly I'm not satisfied with the techniques I used to CastorEngine of a JavaScript viewpoint. I put my mind to make a version 2 by rewriting all on 3, 4 months. but with point 1 and point 2 of why my stop, I decided it was not worth the shot.
I of course not deleted my code for my computer, all archive and set aside. But I do not think it worth the shot to continue if I did not go to user bugs me to develop it. I therefore find the idea to develop something else. In fact I try to venture to create a Metaverse (an animal world (prehistoric, savannah, forest)). But I realize that here too there are many who do not necessarily work well unless you have an innovative idea. But it is true that the creation of Metaverse is something pretty exciting. brief, i have the blank page syndrome of writers.  :wacko:

sorry if my english is bad.

I agree.  Nice work, D72!  I think CE's time is yet to come.  Castor can be booted on the fly... right in the middle of any BJS game.  You can't do that with Unity.  Not only that, but I think CastorEngine has "set the bar" for others who want to build editors... in the future.

They will look at CE and drool... and then realize they are going to need BIG GUNS to compete with Dad72.  :)

Just getting that fancy html... cross-browser... workin' good.  Phew!  Folks are going to steal your "layout"... for years and years and years... into the future.  :)  You own the market for "Pile of stuff to build a huge BJS app-with".  Everyone is going to want that stuff, and learn how to drive it.  I know I do.  I'll suck genius from anything... I'm just that kind of low-life guy.  :)

I am very touched by what you say Wingnut, but I currently do not have the courage to continue with CastorEngine because no user is a project that die. when one's name is not Microsoft or Google or Facebook, hard to do a small place with amateur projects. We are crushed by the giants that leaves no room for person or people make much confidence of big business who are publicized.

I do not even know if my new project as ambitious as it is, go to work. I would be satisfied with only 100 users, I do not ask fortune like the big company that still complain of not earn enough with their billion.

Thank you

Yeah, I understand.  But, make that zip available.  Put your name inside... in multiple places.  Make a little webpage.

I think CE will have much long-term far-reaching impact.  Patience, my friend.  I would keep www.castorengine.com doors open, put the zip there, and tell your story in French and English.  I think you are going to get some serious webhits.  Maybe make a little screenshots gallery.

Maybe... one of those big companies... is going to offer you HUGE money... for doing html/webGL interfaces.  You're going to get rich!

Far-reaching impacts are possible, and likely.  Give it time, offer it to the world, along with your story about it.  You might be more of a super hero than you believe.  :)   The new webpage:

"Hi!  I'm Dad72.  Here's a zipped game editor for Babylon.js webGL framework.  It nearly killed me.  hehe.  Download at your own risk."  ;)

In the open source world, single person, tool makers are very unlikely to be viable.  Ephemeral content / game providers stand a little better chance. End users want free content as well, but there are a whole lot more of them.  So you stand some chance.

If you do it for a mobile device, you save having to host, & process payments for 30%.  That is not bad, since there are a multiple fixed transaction costs like $0.10 + $0.20.  $0.30 on a $2 game is 15% right there.

I am very touched by your encouraging comments. I think you have some reasons.

I'll think about making a version 2 of the editor and make it lighter base and to add features plugin by then. I had ideas before abandoning that I'm going back. For the site, I would do something simple.

Thank you for your comments. I am pleasantly surprised by your encouragement and advice not abandon this project. I told myself that I should also create a project with castorEngine to show what he can do. also make an online demo can beings.

Yet another pano... http://playground.babylonjs.com/#A4BMF#1

Same picture as last demo.  Because this pano has a low horizon (low dirt-to-sky ratio) ... I needed to enlarge the sphere... to 1000... and then sink the camera into the lower 1/4 of the sphere.  (Actually, I raise the sphere). 

When you get the sphere y-position perfect, the horizon is level (with camera level line of sight).  No arch and no concave.  That's when the pano feels most-realistic and least fish-eyed.  Fun!

The sphere enlargment doesn't change the look/quality of the pano, or at least not much.  The reason the enlargement was needed... is to give you some "workarea" when the camera is so low in the sphere.  When at the bottom of the sphere, it takes very little forward or backward movement... to go outside of the sphere.  By making the sphere huge, you still maintain a decent x/z scene area to play-in.

Also, bumpTexturing the pano material... seemed to have very little affect... but I'm still testing that.  Possibly, bumpTextures are for enhancing diffuseTextures.  These demos use only emissiveTextures and no active lights.  Experiments ahead.

One major turn off with your editor was no tutorials... I understand that to you it all seems simple, but this is because you've worked on it for years. :)

Also: We should work on our editors together and share ideas and tips! We seem to share the same dream! :D

And Also again: If you need help with english translation, I could try my best :3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang!  Well, let's see, what's shakin'?  umm...

I have been working on some experiments over in the Decals thread... mostly trying to get Deltakosh to do all my work for me.  He's rescued me about 10 times over there, so far.  Sometimes I feel SO STUPID... and it is possibly caused by me being SO STUPID.  :)  But I'm having "a blast" on that project.  Go visit the topic, catch-up, follow-along, and join-in on the fun.  Click right here to land on the message where I start my light beam bullet hole adventure (my first adventure with our brand new CreateDecal feature.)

Also, our proceduralTexture hero... Meulta... has recently fixed a minor bug (mentioned earlier in this thread) in the brick proc texture.  Well done, Meulta, and thanks!

Meulta and I are having some light conversations about FIRE procedural texture, lately.  It seems that the .shift property on that PT... was predominently useless... likely already handled by our vScale and vOffset features.  I am still goofing around with it, and it is still active in this basic PT demo.

(You get new random fire colors for every RUN click)

This demo is a testbed for playing with the fire Procedural Texture (PT)... and its shader code.  In this demo, I have fireTexture .speed set to 0,0... so it is not moving across the texture.  But look close... the noise of the fire PT is still moving... sort of bubbling.  :)

And look how tight the pattern is.  That is caused by the '100.0' in line 45.  It's default for the standard BJS fire PT...  is 8.0.  So I REALLY turned that knob a LONG ways, eh?  Fun.  Set it to 25.0 for more sanity.

Another knob I turned once... is in line 35... amplitude = 1.0

Change THAT value a small amount and then press RUN button again.  Interesting!  Softener/hardener value, eh?  I have proposed to Meulta and DK that we try to expose these two shader values in the fire PT api.  (try to let users tweak these values without needing to modify the shader program - sometime in the future).

Anyway, this demo lets you play with the fire PT.  You can see what .shift does (line 62)... before it is removed forever.  :)  Play with the .speed setting in line 61.  For me, fireTexture.speed = new BABYLON.Vector2(-0.09, -0.1) gave me a fairly drift-free fire.

Also adjust those two values in the shader code, mentioned earlier [first lines of main() and fbm()]. 

Make a mess, show it to us, and have fun!  Party on.