I am sooo impressed

Pryme8

ok so after finally getting things wrapped up with loading some major content and using the built in octree system along with a cool little preset Instancing method and I am blown away with how well BJS handles it all...  This API is the real deal, I am really really proud of all the hard work everyone has put in!

If you look at the picture, it might not look that impressive, but I think that is absolutely stunning... that is running at 12-14 fps on a Old as hell i7 with a on-board Intell HD 3000 only is just... wow guys... the whole time building this I was very apprehensive of the ability for it to even work.

But anyways, the whole point of this topic now would be how would I go about optimizing more?
I want to resize most textures to 512x512 along with break down the buildings father into modular components that I can use my preset system with...
Plus talk the client into letting me do a retopo on a lot of the building meshs to drop out extra details for smart overlays to trick the detail, but I don't know what their schedule is looking like now.

on a side note because of all this, I will soon be posting my c4d to Babylon extension, cause this method for handling this much content sucks and the fbx converter did not work as amazing as I had intended... but there is still a silver lining more on that later...

Night.

wow.jpg

15 minutes ago, Convergence said:

should be doable since it looks like one building.

It looks like he has a number of different meshes (which I believe are instanced many times) that he's putting together in various ways to make a variety of buildings.  Correct me if I'm wrong P8.

For texture downsizing, also measure time from line 1 to first line of scene.executeWhenReady function, and log.  Compare before & after.  Should have a positive impact.  Reason is the time to build mipMaps.

Merging meshes might be a good idea.

Building also rarely move / rotate / or scale.  FreezeWorldMatrix them will reduce your single threaded, Meshes selection time.

3 hours ago, adam said:

It looks like he has a number of different meshes (which I believe are instanced many times) that he's putting together in various ways to make a variety of buildings.  Correct me if I'm wrong P8.

Ther are about about 500 uniqe meshes including buildings that are being called sometimes hundreds of times.  Adam is right on. Also the client requires physics in the next phase so I need to keep them separated as much as possible

thank you JC I am going to do the texture downsample and the freeze would transformation thanks for the idea!

3 hours ago, Convergence said:

You can definitely get more fps by optimizing,  perhaps even 60. Reduce draw calls to about 20-40,  should be doable since it looks like one building. Also reduce number of meshes in the scene to as few as possible. 

Both can  be achieved with texture maps. 

There would be no way to get the draw calls down that far given the content.  I have them down already to pretty much bare mins.