There's something funny about character animation blending

Gugis

27 minutes ago, Deltakosh said:

Because the decompose can decompose to non linear values between calls

Would that account for the weird transformation, though?  

Here I set the startValue and endValue to currentValue and blend to 1.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1WUHAN#8

Shouldn't that be the same as doing no lerp?

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1WUHAN#9

I see a couple of odd things in the .blend file. Why key frame bones that don't translate, rotate or scale? There are feyframes on bones that are not needed because those bones follow parent bones that are keyframed?????? Is this something to do with BJS? everybody bone needs to be keyed for every frame? Why are there x,y,z scale keyframes on the bone when no bone is scaling? ect.....

As to the OP'er and the question:

First, why does you mesh object have keyframes on it? you have no shapekeys, so what about the mesh is keyframed?

Secondly, you have keyframes on the armature (walk_with_shield) as well as an Action in the NLA Editor that is also titled 'walk_with_shield'. In the Dope Sheet click the button "Push Down". It converts keyframes to an action. Then go to the NLA Editor and you'll see that you now have walk_with_shield Action Strip and walk_with_shield.001 Action Strip. Please note, they do not line up on the timeline on the NLA Editor. I am guessing that the exporter is seeing the keyframes named walk_with_shield and the Action Strip name walk_with_shield, exporting them both. Then inside the BJS engine, the method is not sure what you are calling - the keyframes or the Action Strip.

Also, all your actions are stacked and on different tracks as opposed to inline and on 1 track (not sure if matters in BJS) but it does for blending actions to be used in an animation inside blender. Sometimes you may want the Action Strips on the same track and in some sort of sequence, other times on different tracks and overlapping (with an offset) for blending between Action Strips. There are a number of ways to use the NLA Editor; It is a very powerful animation tool.

I might be talking out my butt as I know nothing about BJS, but I do have an understanding of blender and animation.

In armature animation, any given bone may not have an exported frame, if it is the same value as the previous frame.  In the case of 40 finger bones:blink: that are not even being animated, this saves a lot of otherwise wasted space.  The BJS animation system is set up to handle this.  Every bone has to populate the first frame though.  So, looks like somehow the ranges are wrong.  Not going to look at that right now.

Actions are exported for you to combine as required.  NLA is not consulted.  Have not spent any time looking at NLA, since I am not interested in doing the performance in Blender, then regurgitating in at run time.  I do not even use this variant of the exporter, or the BJS animation system.  My animation system extension is just series of pose blends after another as well.  Everything is already decomposed, so I just do not have this problem.  I really do not have a lot vested in this topic, sorry.