Capsule Impostor with Cannon and Babylon

mwissink

I have recently started on a Babylon project, and I have been wanting to create a capsule physics impostor for my game. I found a test demo for Oimo.js that basically achieves what I want: compound test (capsule). There are two problems:

1. due to some shortcomings in Oimo, I have had to switch to Cannon.js.

2. the demo uses Three.js and I'm sure how to exactly translate that into Babylon.

I basically want to be able to combine two sphere impostors with a cylinder impostor. I'm not sure what is the best method for this, there are only a few examples that I have found, and I haven't found anything in the docs. So I created an example to show what I am talking about: capsule sandbox. I have created the capsule mesh, but I just need to figure out how to add a capsule impostor. Thanks.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1TZH4F#22

Fun!  This one uses box impostors... but... I think it acts pretty well.  I think compoundImposters are now deprecated in the newest physics plugins, but it's still worth a playground search.

Other than that, I got no help.  I don't think cylinderImpostors exist.  But a sphereImpostor COULD be tightly "jointed" (physics linked) to each end of a boxImpostor... creating a capsule-like shape.  *shrug*  Not sure.  hopefully, more comments from others, soon.

Out of the box, OIMO will do what you want, as long as you declare WORLD_SCALE parameters. Otherwise, Cannon is also a good physics engine, but requires working with parameters which require a bit more tweaking. Create a PG scene, and you'll get the reponses which will solve you're issues.

DB

COmpound impostors are your friend!

Create a box, with two spheres as children, and set their impostors. this will create a single compound that will be computed as a capsule. 

You can also do that with point-to-point joints, which are practically the same.

If I find the time later today I will prepare a quick playground.

• 2 weeks later...