New Terrain Splatmap Material

MackeyK24

New Terrain Splatmap Material (Based Off BABYLON.TerrainMaterial)... Supports up to 4 splatmaps using up to 12 textures for terrain painting.

The new splatmapMateral.ts will be added to the the babylon Materials Library soon but check out how i am using it for native terrain support using the U3D BabylonJS Toolkit.

[UPDATE] Sorry, but you will NEED the toolkit to use the new BABYLON.SplatmapMaterial... I had to move the splatmatting into my Scene Manager API available on BabylonJS/Extensions.

The way i use splatmaps now hook into the native shader pipeline and pick up (or make available) all the standard PBR features plus all the ShaderMaterial features, plus Scene Component Life-Cycle... I then automatically generates all the splatmaps from the actual terrain data... All the code will be available ... Just NOT as a materialLibrary (although i guess i could make a lightweight version for manual usage.)

U3D - BabylonJS Toolkit: Terrain Splatmap Material Overview

Hey @Deltakosh , @Sebavan , @davrous , @RaananW , @Dad72 , @MrVR ... Hey guys please check this out... I am pretty proud of this... Its my FIRST venture into the low level shader parts (using the terrainMaterial.ts as a guide)... But i think it turned out beautifully :)

15 minutes ago, MackeyK24 said:

Hope it will help (when new toolkit get released) :)

Until then i will PR the new BABYLON.SplatmapMaterial (when i finish) and you use it JUST LIKE BABYLON.TerrainMaterial

Except: mixTexture is now splatmapTexture 1 thru 4

and up to 12 diffuse and bump textures (3 per splatmapTexture)

NIce work on the terrain, soo simple now and nice qualty wow, the candy land looks awesome je je

I'm working on a really heavy scene to test the new toolkit and all the libraries to see how they work on the mobile 

this looks really awesome jaja the colors of the terrains are just insane and from 120MB to 20MB thats a crazy optimization .

and you get stock in the mesh maybe because is a sticky candy land jaja jaja 

55 minutes ago, Dad72 said:

That sounds really impressive. I have a question, can the generating grounds be able to receive shadows and color spotlights for example? Thank you.

Yes the terrain in babylon is a mesh just like a plane or cube , I'm pretty sure but @MackeyK24 can confirm this

53 minutes ago, Dad72 said:

That sounds really impressive. I have a question, can the generating grounds be able to receive shadows and color spotlights for example? Thank you.

I am working on that now.... shadows (baked and realtime) will basically get handled by the babylon splatmap shader... I know i already have to implement lightmapTexture... that is where baked shadows will come from... I think realtime shadows will come from including the 'Lighting' section of the shader and skybox (indulging operate HDR reflection is selected) will come from the implementing the reflectionTexture parts... Those are work in progress... I just really getting into messing with shaders at that level... will let you know how is comes along :)

Take a look at the video when can... you can see how and where this stuff gets handled